Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ignition cylinder

Lost my keys out wheeling and didnt have a spare for the gl. Punched out the ignition so I can drive it to work. they wanted close to 200 to cut a key and it was hard to do that since thats what I paid for the car. Cant seem to find a new cylinder other than legacy ones. Theres a few on ebay labeled as datsun/Subaru ones that I'm not too sure about. Curious if other subaru ones will work or if anyone has a lead on one. 

Same thing I am looking into since a thief broke into my '84 GL wagon. I also found the Datsun/Subaru and found as well, an ebayer selling both the "long" and the "short" NOS OEM cylinders, which are difficult to purchase as they are automatically cancelled with a message "the seller cannot accept payments right now".

Edited by lrgvanman

What I did, was went to NAPA and got the two largest toggle switches, and the largest spring push button. I mouted then up under the left of the sterring wheel where that little "tray" is to put things. one switch runs the ignition, the other the accessorys,  the push button starts the engine. I wasn't gunna pay the money for a new one.  I love it.  if some one does steel it it will take some time for them to figure it out.  I do have the key so can lock the doors.  hope that helps

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mack Truck said:

What I did, was went to NAPA and got the two largest toggle switches, and the largest spring push button. I mouted then up under the left of the sterring wheel where that little "tray" is to put things. one switch runs the ignition, the other the accessorys,  the push button starts the engine. I wasn't gunna pay the money for a new one.  I love it.  if some one does steel it it will take some time for them to figure it out.  I do have the key so can lock the doors.  hope that helps

Pretty much what my plan was until I can find a part out and snag a ignition.