Ultimate Subaru Message Board

92-94 legacy EJ22 Wiring Harness

Thanks for verifying @GeneralDisorder 

It’s always “best practice” to get a whole car for a conversion.  This way you have everything you’ll need other than a short list of incidentals.

Unless you know what/how you’re going about the conversion, a whole donor vehicle is the go - then you can sell the bits you don’t need to recover some costs.

Cheers 

Bennie

You can switch between obd1 and obd2 wiring if you have the matching wiring from the manifold. I find it easier to keep the manifold intact since the fuel injection is the same.

I have to disagree with @GeneralDisorder on this one however. I have personally trimmed each type of harness and i found the obd1 harness a bit easier to work with because the ecu connectors are separated  (rather than just one big connector) and the super multiple junction is a lot smaller. The obd1 is much easier to keep the cel.

There is no reason in my opinion not to use the 90-94 electronics, especially since the imprezas came with obd1 until 96 i think. Just take the dash off and rip everything out.

Busaru youtube channel has loads of pinouts.

Two advantages to the obd2 is that the alternator pigtail is simpler (there is a double diode on obd1) and you can simply ground the neutral switch to disable the vehicle speed sensor.

20190113_161948.thumb.jpg.899d9aa83d840d91a6155d0b53325045.jpg

Edited by sparkyboy
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, sparkyboy said:

You can switch between obd1 and obd2 wiring if you have the matching wiring from the manifold. I find it easier to keep the manifold intact since the fuel injection is the same.

I have to disagree with @GeneralDisorder on this one however. I have personally trimmed each type of harness and i found the obd1 harness a bit easier to work with because the ecu connectors are separated  (rather than just one big connector) and the super multiple junction is a lot smaller. The obd1 is much easier to keep the cel.

There is no reason in my opinion not to use the 90-94 electronics, especially since the imprezas came with obd1 until 96 i think. Just take the dash off and rip everything out.

Busaru youtube channel has loads of pinouts.

Two advantages to the obd2 is that the alternator pigtail is simpler (there is a double diode on obd1) and you can simply ground the neutral switch to disable the vehicle speed sensor.

Later OBD II harness is easier to trim.   None of needed wires gtrghh  SMJ so y can toss it.   Hooking up CEL is EXCACTLY the same....1 wire.  Fuel temp sensor is not ned to run engine.

That said I have no problem running an OBD I harness/ecu in some of my swaps.  

OBD I and OBD II harness are completely NOT intaerchangable.  

• Like 2

@fergloyale 

Very cool man. I might be a little biased because the first harness i trimmed was an obd2 and that involved a learning curve by a true efi rookie.

But looking back i had fun and learned a lot so i flew through the obd1

What i mean by easier cel is you just have to hook up the green connectors and count the blinks. You can't do that on obd2?

WP_20160808_001.thumb.jpg.7d5ef50634a880291cb1e88665c01002.jpg

Edited by sparkyboy

My completed obd2 what a pita! :lol:

Bmw s52 wngine harnesses are already more or less separate, and I understand that gm harnesses for ls engines are pretty straightforward.

Good times! Nice part about subaru ecus is that I understand they are low boost friendly. You have to get a megasquirt for beemer to even begin to think about boosting an s50 or s52. The m20 has a beast bottom end but still can't boost on the factory ecu. Hehe

FB_IMG_15476154016969744.jpg.37e7c99e0bd66f40aeddcfce3ebc6acf.jpg

Edited by sparkyboy

48 minutes ago, FerGloyale said:

Later OBD II harness is easier to trim.   None of needed wires gtrghh  SMJ so y can toss it.   Hooking up CEL is EXCACTLY the same....1 wire.  Fuel temp sensor is not ned to run engine.

What about the Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor needed by the Evap system? Do the OBD 2 Subarus use this sensor? I am not talking about a Fuel Pressure Sensor which is totally different. In other words am I going to end up with a permanent CEL because of no Evap system? I have cut down several OBD 1 harnesses but still have the OBD 2 to do yet. OBD 2 seems to be all about getting the supported monitors to set.

Thank you in advance.

Edited by Crazyeights

33 minutes ago, Crazyeights said:

What about the Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor needed by the Evap system? Do the OBD 2 Subarus use this sensor? I am not talking about a Fuel Pressure Sensor which is totally different. In other words am I going to end up with a permanent CEL because of no Evap system? I have cut down several OBD 1 harnesses but still have the OBD 2 to do yet. OBD 2 seems to be all about getting the supported monitors to set.

Thank you in advance.

I was going to suggest there are people who will trim your harness for a fee, it seems worth it if $250 and shipping is worth less than your time.

Obd1 and 2 are esentially the same trimming wise.

As far as the cel for fuel pressure sensor, i don't see one on the pinout are you referring to the atmospheric pressure sensor (pin 23?)

I'm thinking that is for later obd2 maybe the phase 2?

That might be one of those sensors that dosen't trigger a cel except for read memory but it should be easy enough to simulate the voltage and then delete it

Edited by sparkyboy

8 hours ago, sparkyboy said:

What i mean by easier cel is you just have to hook up the green connectors and count the blinks. You can't do that on obd2?

Yes you can if you keep the connectors. I can read the codes on my sister’s Gen3 Liberty using the plugs. Nothing has changed in that department for the early OBDII, later gear may have changed but I’m not familiar with that. 

I’ve also been told on good authority (auto sparky mate) that OBDII Gen2 stuff is much easier to cut down than the OBDI Gen1 looms. 

Cheers 

Bennie

• Like 1

Hmmm, mine must be different or hooked up wrong. All i ever get is a steady blinking light when i hook the green connectors together? But i did get a bunch of codes with a scanner that i cleared out and all seems good in the flat world.

I seem to recall my 95 and 96 doing the same thing with the cel. 

Edited by sparkyboy

• 1 year later...

Sorry to resurrect this thread but I'm planning to do the same conversion to my 77 westy. The only 95 Legacys are 12+ hours from me and I do have a 93 2.2 that is near me on the cheap, I had planned to go that route.  I've seen OBDi to OBDii adaptors on the cheap but have never found anyone that has direct experience on whether they work.  Has anyone on here?

This is what I am talking about: https://www.chipyourcar.com/product/subaru-obd1-to-obd2-adapter/

TIA

I am in the process of doing a 95 2.2 into a 1970 bug.   I bought two 95's so I could get some duplicate parts as they were both cheap cars.  Sold one engine to a friend who really needed it, but kept all the rest.  In about a month the vw comes out and the fresh 2.2 with shortened oil pan and reverse throttle goes in.  

looks like a guy on car-parts.com not far form you has a 95 engine and maybe the whole car yet.  good luck!!

Engine Assembly
Subaru Legacy
CC062ADDF9B54C11BA68A853D3F54CFB001_thumb.jpg(2.2L, VIN 6, 6th digit)-0MI 0 A B79 $Call John Meyer Truck and Foreign Salvage, Inc. USA-MO(Joplin) Request_Quote 417-781-8300 / 800-662-7963 Request_Insurance_Quote
Live Chat

• 1 year later...