Ultimate Subaru Message Board

91 Loyale 5spd into 83 GL issues

Hi all! Recently joined the forums after picking up a 1983 FWD GL, currently waiting on parts to do a minor reseal on it. It is running and driving, just puking oil and the 3spd auto is slipping pretty badly. FleaBay currently has a low mileage 91 Loyale FWD 5 speed manual for sale at a good price that I'm considering jumping on, so I had a few questions about the swap before I invest in it

•Will there be differences in axles

•How heavily will the wiring need to be modified to make the 5 speed work with reverse lights, speed sensors, etc

•Will any body modifications need to be done to fit the 5spd

•How difficult will it be to source a clutch pedal assembly, center console, and/or axles

•Any benefits to trying to source an EA81 4 speed

Thank you in advance! 

Go the 5 speed. 

Do a search for a how to guide.  This has been done plenty of times already. 

If your ‘83 is front wheel drive only and the 5spd is 4wd you’ll need to mod the rear to fit a rear diff etc. this involves sourcing a 4wd rear end setup - K frame and swing arms and a fuel tank with the divot for the rear diff. Of course you’ll need a rear diff and drive shafts too. Any 4wd MY will be compatible. 

Biggest issue is making captive nuts for the diff moustache bar mounts if they’re not already there.

Cheers 

Bennie

A: Axles should be the same.

B: Reverse Lights and Speedo Cable will be plug and play.

C: Personally don't know, never done a FWD swap.

D: Being in the US you only need the standard EA81 clutch pedal box and clutch cable (Apparently).

E: 4 Speed has a reputation as a crap gearbox but there are still plenty of them running but stick with the 5 speed.

F: You will need to make a Starter Motor spacer.

And work you way through any number of other little issues along the way.

If you have an EA81, it would be much easier to source a FWD 5 Spd out of an EA81 vehicle than to retro fit an EA82 5 Spd.

And if you are going to convert from FWD to 4WD, then yeah, you got a crap load of work ahead of you.

Cheers,

Al

1 hour ago, el_freddo said:

Go the 5 speed. 

Do a search for a how to guide.  This has been done plenty of times already. 

If your ‘83 is front wheel drive only and the 5spd is 4wd you’ll need to mod the rear to fit a rear diff etc. this involves sourcing a 4wd rear end setup - K frame and swing arms and a fuel tank with the divot for the rear diff. Of course you’ll need a rear diff and drive shafts too. Any 4wd MY will be compatible. 

Biggest issue is making captive nuts for the diff moustache bar mounts if they’re not already there.

Cheers 

Bennie

Both are FWD and am fine with keeping the car that way, it's just a commuter for when my Nissan is in pieces(A bi-monthly ritual it seems)

I've been scouring and haven't seen much but will keep looking, probably just not looking the right areas!

47 minutes ago, Al Zhiemer said:

A: Axles should be the same.

B: Reverse Lights and Speedo Cable will be plug and play.

C: Personally don't know, never done a FWD swap.

D: Being in the US you only need the standard EA81 clutch pedal box and clutch cable (Apparently).

E: 4 Speed has a reputation as a crap gearbox but there are still plenty of them running but stick with the 5 speed.

F: You will need to make a Starter Motor spacer.

And work you way through any number of other little issues along the way.

If you have an EA81, it would be much easier to source a FWD 5 Spd out of an EA81 vehicle than to retro fit an EA82 5 Spd.

And if you are going to convert from FWD to 4WD, then yeah, you got a crap load of work ahead of you.

Cheers,

Al

Sweet, that is all pretty reassuring. I wasn't aware they made 5 speeds for the EA81, pretty new to Subie's this old. I'll spend some time seeing if I can find any EA81 box's, though the EA82 box I'm looking at is tempting being 91K miles and relatively affordable

Thank you both for your help!!

• Like 1

To my knowledge and I don't know anything but I have wrecked 2 FWD EA81's now and both have had 5 Spd manuals in them (Both have made a new home at the crushers, it isn't really a sought after gearbox over here) so I'm guessing they are out there somewhere.

Cheers,

Al