Ultimate Subaru Message Board

85 brat dies while driving, intermittent crank no start

I was driving home from the auto parts store, waiting more money, and as i came up to a light came to a complete stop my brat died. Then it was a crank no start, got it out of the road and checked the basics to see if something had just rattled loose.

She was getting fuel, no plug wires were loose. (Couldn't verify spark with just myself) After a new more hopeful tried to start to no avail I let her sit for a few minutes and like magic she started right up and ran like nothing was ever wrong. This happened again about 5 minutes later. And several other times, while accelerating, decelerating and even just holding steady at 2k rpm then would just back to life. However on the last time she blew the fuse for the regulator. (When I got it, replaced the fuseable links for a fuse block)

I got her with 116k miles and did a tune up then, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, etc.. Now has 133k on it

Anyone have any ideas? From what I've been able to find could be an ignition module issue?

Measured or checked to see if ignition on voltage can be found at coils positive terminal?

If no ignition power you can Hotwire it ...connect battery pos to coil positive then while this connection is there try cranking

It is behaving like a module on its last legs

While you wait for parts to arrive maybe just try illogical things such as clean up mating surfaces of earth and power contacts at battery and body/ engine block

Tell us how why what your "fuse block" is that you replaced the FL's with?

Edited by Steptoe

On 1/18/2019 at 2:27 PM, Steptoe said:

While you wait for parts to arrive maybe just try illogical things such as clean up mating surfaces of earth and power contacts at battery and body/ engine block

Tell us how why what your "fuse block" is that you replaced the FL's with?

I've cleaned up all that I've seen as far as grounds go, as far my my "fuse block" here's that:

20190121_172835.jpg

Update: New coil and ICM came in today, installed them annndd crank no start. 

The old man is convinced it's an ECM issue cause back in the day he had a similar issue on his old GL which replacing that had fixed.

The only problem with that is I can't for the life of me find where that thing is at. Some people say near the stearing colum but didn't see anything there and there's nothing on the passenger side that I can see. 

On 1/14/2019 at 8:55 PM, WhiskeyBravo said:

After a new more hopeful tried to start to no avail I let her sit for a few minutes and like magic she started right up and ran like nothing was ever wrong. This happened again about 5 minutes later. And several other times, while accelerating, decelerating and even just holding steady at 2k rpm then would just back to life.

A failing fuel pump can also produce this behavior.

ECM meaning engine control module, such as an ECU??

Your BRAT won’t have one. 

The other thing to check is the fuel cut solenoid is working. Can you hear the fuel pump running just after you stop cranking the engine with the starter?

If not, this is part of the issue. But it also needs a reference signal from the coil. 

Cheers 

Bennie

19 hours ago, el_freddo said:

ECM meaning engine control module, such as an ECU??

Your BRAT won’t have one. 

The other thing to check is the fuel cut solenoid is working. Can you hear the fuel pump running just after you stop cranking the engine with the starter?

If not, this is part of the issue. But it also needs a reference signal from the coil. 

Cheers 

Bennie

That's what I had thought. Regardless I checked the basics and the new cap was missing the button that makes contact with the rotor. So I took it out of the old cap and got her running.

Thanks for the help!

• Like 1