Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Part out '97 Legacy GT and finding a recipient for the engine

Several months ago, my son tried to avoid an animal while driving the '97 Legacy GT, ran into an embankment causing some rear suspension damage and some internal damage to the transmission (damaged the 2rd gear band in the 4EAT). My mechanic has been looking at it in his spare time (and not charging me) so it's been at his shop the past 4 months

Since my mechanic's shop was sold out from under him, he (and my '97 GT) will need to be out of there in he next few weeks. Given the bad transmission, as well as obvious (and maybe not as obvious) damage to the suspension and undercarriage, I'm wondering if I should just part it out and find a new recipient for the '95 EJ22 engine that was swapped in (runs great with only 100K miles on it).

Ideally I would love to get my hands on a clean '97- '99 Outback Limited that needs headgaskets or an engine, and have my mechanic install the EJ22, but so far the ones I've found that need an engine also are in pretty poor shape overall.

I did find another LGT where the motor is toast. It's about 40 miles and over a mountain from me so having it towed would be a must. The seller originally wanted $900 for it, which was way too much IMO, but says he will take $400 to get rid of it.

So would this car be worth parting my '97 to fix? It looks clean, My one main concern is the rust (see the pics) and how likely has it spread to the strut towers- I'm not sure how easy it would be to check this when I go out to look at it. Here's a link to the ad below:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/303662747046407?surface=product_details

Thank you. You are speaking of the rear subframe? Yes, I wouldn't want to take on replacing that myself, so I will plan look at that to see if there is much rust on it.

I wouldn't want to try to use the one from my '97 as either the subframe or a suspension component was damaged, causing excessive camber on the passenger's side now.

If you can use the engine and scrap the rest that is the best bet.

Of course as soon as you scrap it you will find something you could have used.

Parts for the 95-99 Subaru cars are not worth much anymore.  With shipping it's just not worth it.

If you're going to the effort - get a clean body from out west. We don't have rust and those bodies are worthless to us anyway. Probably find something with a blown engine for $200 or less. I bought our 2000 Outback Limited for $300 with a rod knock.  Black, leather, one owner, etc. It's the hiking/camping/outdoor activity vehicle. The 90's stuff - people are practically giving them away. And rust is never an issue. We have tons of 80's stuff without any rust even. 

Shipping will run less than $1500. But really when you consider the advantages and the lack of frustration - if that's what you want it's totally the way to go. Either that or scrap the whole idea. You WILL spend more than $1500 in time and effort dealing with corrosion. 

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

3 hours ago, GeneralDisorder said:

If you're going to the effort - get a clean body from out west. We don't have rust and those bodies are worthless to us anyway. Probably find something with a blown engine for $200 or less. I bought our 2000 Outback Limited for $300 with a rod knock.  Black, leather, one owner, etc. It's the hiking/camping/outdoor activity vehicle. The 90's stuff - people are practically giving them away. And rust is never an issue. We have tons of 80's stuff without any rust even. 

Shipping will run less than $1500. But really when you consider the advantages and the lack of frustration - if that's what you want it's totally the way to go. Either that or scrap the whole idea. You WILL spend more than $1500 in time and effort dealing with corrosion. 

GD

+1