Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Yesterday morning on my way to work my wipers stopped working. I made sure to clear off the windshield and remove snow covering the arms prior to turning them on. Once or twice the blades would sweep the window but now nothing happens when I try to turn on the wipers no matter what speed or setting I use. I'm hoping to begin troubleshooting it tomorrow. Here are my thoughts:

Check fuses for continuity

Inspect wiper motor and try to jump it with 12V to see if that engages the blades

Any other ideas? It's frigid outside here in Boston with no access to a garage so I'm hoping to be as efficient as possible.

39 minutes ago, Crazyeights said:

Do you hear any sound at all when you turn the wipers on like the motor is running but the wipers won't move or is it totally silent?

Totally silent. I'm assuming the motor is burnt out but maybe it had some unforeseen weight on the blades with the snow and the fuse just burnt out.

Did you use your voodoo can?  I've got a Chinese tea can - I threw a bunch of dead (computer) chips, bolts, and chicken bones in and glued the lid on.  If a problem is sufficiently baffling I shake the voodoo can over it and it's sometimes mysteriously solved without further frustration.  I trust that's what you did.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, jonathan909 said:

Did you use your voodoo can?  I've got a Chinese tea can - I threw a bunch of dead (computer) chips, bolts, and chicken bones in and glued the lid on.  If a problem is sufficiently baffling I shake the voodoo can over it and it's sometimes mysteriously solved without further frustration.  I trust that's what you did.

i may have to try this method.. :lol:

currently fighting with squealing brakes for no obvious reason.. pads are good and wearing evenly, caliper pins are not seized up, rear drum shoes are good.. altho the one did have a bit more dust in it than the other did.. but yeah, nothing obviously wrong. just an annoying squeal periodically.... sounds like the squealers on the disc brakes, but they are not even close to touching yet. <_<

You could try a quality ceramic pad if you haven't already. Also don't forget to put the extreme pressure moly or ceramic lubricant on the back sides of the pads and or shims. The dealer pads come with new hardware and special grease with detailed instructions on where to apply it.

Edited by Crazyeights
  • Like 1