Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Cyclops 3rd Eye Install!

47 minutes ago, FerGloyale said:

Yes.  The "close" wire,  Green/white, should go to the normally closed, or 87a terminal.  

Green wire should get power from 87 terminal when relay is activated by dash switch.

Yes, that's exactly how it's wired now but the door opens and stays open, light works fine and I hear the relay engaging. Do you want me to switch the wires? 

19 minutes ago, FerGloyale said:

sure you've got an 87a relay and not Double pole 87 ?  

How is the lamp powered?  Does it go one and off with the switch?

Single Pole DT, here is their description on Amazon. Yes switch cuts light on and off, when I introduce 12v+ to the green terminal on the motor it cycles. 

Just now, divinicus said:

Single Pole DT, here is their description on Amazon. Yes switch cuts light on and off, when I introduce 12v+ to the green terminal on the motor it cycles. 

Description

12 AWG Wiring Harness for the main contact - pin 30, pin 87, pin 87a 
40A/30A high switching capability 

12AWG  Pin 87a  Yellow 
12AWG  Pin 87  Blue 
12AWG  Pin 30  Red 
16AWG  Pin 85  Black 
16AWG  Pin 86  White 

Specifications: 
Coil Voltage: 12V DC 
Coil Current: 160 mA 
Switching Voltage: 14V DC Max 
Contact Current Rating: 
- NO 40A 14V DC 
- NC 30A 14V DC 

I think I'm making a lot of progress, I found a broken green power wire in the old main shroud and soldered in a new one to the motor. 

Now, here is sequence:

1. Turn on switch. 

2. Light comes on and door closes. 

3. Turn off switch, light goes off and door opens.

So all I need to do is get the door to be in closed position when power is off, and then open when power goes on. 

Thanks a LOT! 

1 minute ago, divinicus said:

I think I'm making a lot of progress, I found a broken green power wire in the old main shroud and soldered in a new one to the motor. 

Now, here is sequence:

1. Turn on switch. 

2. Light comes on and door closes. 

3. Turn off switch, light goes off and door opens.

So all I need to do is get the door to be in closed position when power is off, and then open when power goes on. 

Thanks a LOT! 

Swap the green and Green/white wires

2 hours ago, FerGloyale said:

Awesome!  love seeing the working 3rd eye lamps working.  Glad I saved those crude drawings from so long ago or I'd have forgotten it all by now.

I'm pretty sure I used your drawings when I wired mine on my 85 brat a couple years ago. Crude, but functional. Thank you!

2 hours ago, divinicus said:

One more thing, does anyone have the two plastic screw holders as seen in this photo of another cyclops? 

screengrab-20190131-090416.jpg

i think that type of clip is still available new.

Maybe from an aftermarket body clip supplier, but I think there is something close enough to work out there.

10 hours ago, FerGloyale said:

i think that type of clip is still available new.

Maybe from an aftermarket body clip supplier, but I think there is something close enough to work out there.

sales@clipsandfasteners.com

714-666-2959

3158 E. La Palma Ave

Anaheim, CA 92806

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/1/2019 at 6:39 PM, FerGloyale said:

Awesome!  love seeing the working 3rd eye lamps working.  Glad I saved those crude drawings from so long ago or I'd have forgotten it all by now.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed but the cyclops grille that was in transit here by USPS may have gotten lost! Do you have a spare original grille? Thanks again! 

3 hours ago, divinicus said:

Good news! Cyclops grille arrived, but apparently they only made it for two-headlight DL model. It needs to be trimmed on the sides to fit my GL. 

grill99.jpg

Hi everyone! 

Here's another solution I thought of, so I don't need to cut this beautiful, original cyclops grille. I can change out the four headlight GL setup I have and go to two lights, so the grille will fit! Just need to locate the two headlights and their bezels to fit `83 Brat. Let me know if you have these parts for sale, thanks! 

0501011200001.jpg

I think you've got a cyclops grill from a  later single rectangle fixture headlight setup.  Narrow and more "square" outer corner lights and no big chrome bezel around the H. lamps.

If you look, it's not the same as the one in the pics of the 2 rectangle setup.  That setup has curved edges to fit the big chrome bezel.  There is a version for the 2 round lamps that has an even bigger curve and is wider still.

I've got a cyclops grill and bezel set here that may be the right one for ya...I'll look.

Or you could modify the existing grill on yer 83.  Probably look better than cutting the outer ends off the one you bought.

6 minutes ago, FerGloyale said:

I think you've got a cyclops grill from a  later single rectangle fixture headlight setup.  Narrow and more "square" outer corner lights and no big chrome bezel around the H. lamps.

If you look, it's not the same as the one in the pics of the 2 rectangle setup.  That setup has curved edges to fit the big chrome bezel.  There is a version for the 2 round lamps that has an even bigger curve and is wider still.

I've got a cyclops grill and bezel set here that may be the right one for ya...I'll look.

Or you could modify the existing grill on yer 83.  Probably look better than cutting the outer ends off the one you bought.

I'm with you, I think it's one thing to cut a hole for the cyclops light assy in my existing grille and another to cut the ends off this beautiful original grille. The cyclops light I have CAME with this grille and they match perfectly. That's why I like the idea of going to the two headlight setup, which is stock anyway and all cyclops cars, Brats and wagons, came this way believe. I would be happy beyond words if you can help now that I'm about 85% there! 

On 2/16/2019 at 4:17 PM, FerGloyale said:

I can afford to put $400 into a suitable cyclops grille, light bezels and the lights including wiring. But the whole setup needs to be ready to bolt on. Thanks a lot! 

1 minute ago, carfreak85 said:

Trim the quad-lamp grill.  The honeycomb grills are almost a perfect fit once trimmed, since they have a shape similar to the lamp door already in their design.

I can do that but my cyclops lamp door has horizontal slats like the original non-honeycomb grill. I'm going to hold out a while longer on the hopes someone can come up with those single hls with the appropriate shape to match my cyclops grille. It's too cool to give up on it after all this work, lol. But thanks! 

• 2 weeks later...