Ultimate Subaru Message Board

older hi/lo transaxle in a mid 90's outback

Does anybody make an adapter kit to put the old Hi/Lo GL/Loyale tranny into a newer Outback legacy with the 2.2 motor?

Or has anybody here ever done it. I hate how high geared my 98 Outback is, you can't do anything with it without burning the clutch. I would like to use it off road a little and tow my small boat. It has plenty of power,  just poor gearing.

Edited by Fish-N-Fool

4 hours ago, idosubaru said:

Could you get a lower geared trans/diff ratios?  not sure how 1st gear ratios compare but final drive would drop from current 4.11 to 3.9.   The main benefit being it would be cheap and easier to find parts. 

Or even drop to 3.7.

Adaptor plates availble from Oz: 

SUBARU EJ SERIES ENGINE TO EA SERIES GEAR BOX ADAPTORS on Gumtree http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/1179605973?utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=sms

You will also need the EA flywheel and beef up the EA clutch. From memory the clutch is cable operated so that bit is easy ;) 

Cheers 

Bennie

• Like 1

On 1/23/2019 at 2:00 PM, idosubaru said:

not sure how 1st gear ratios compare but final drive would drop from current 4.11 to 3.9.   The main benefit being it would be cheap and easier to find parts. 

On 1/23/2019 at 6:37 PM, el_freddo said:

Or even drop to 3.7.

3.7 and 3.9 are TALLER ratios than 4.11

What he really wants is 4.44 final drive.  Or a true dual range.

He could import a D/R EJ box from Aus or Europe, and that would bolt right in with no adapter or driveline mods.

4 hours ago, FerGloyale said:

3.7 and 3.9 are TALLER ratios than 4.11

What he really wants is 4.44 final drive.  Or a true dual range.

He could import a D/R EJ box from Aus or Europe, and that would bolt right in with no adapter or driveline mods.

Yes they are taller ratios, but they’re the ONLY TWO available in the EA dual range gearboxes, and the 3.7 is the most common. 

As for the Aus or Euro dual range, he’ll probably want to drop the good low range into one of these, and can swap in the 4.44:1 diff ratio (WRX box will have one, and a “matching” 5th ratio for cruising). A decent low range AND the 4.44 will require shaving the crown wheel for clearance it’s the larger low range gears. 

And yes, the Aus or Euro dual range box will drop right in without any mods other than a console swap for the dual range lever. 

The cheapest option on the table in my view is the EA dual range. Then live with the diff ratio change. 

To get a gearbox from Aus to the US (if customs is operational stateside!) would cost ~$AU700. Once you factor in finding a decent second hand box you’ll be well over a grand and quickly headed to two grand if you get a low km box. 

Cheap boxes will usually have +300k km on them or a centre diff issue and can be had for ~$AU250.

Cheers

Bennie

• Like 1

4 hours ago, idosubaru said:

oh right, wrong direction....subaru never had a USDM 4.44 final drive MT did they? 

Subaru Forester XT. However Forester STI 4.44 5spds are pretty cheap to get. $4-500 from an importer.  Japan also got dual range AFAIK since the importers from Japan sometimes have them. But the Aus/ EDM/ JDM EJ dual range is only 1.19:1 reduction in low range as I recall. The 4.44 turbo trans would do better

• Like 1

The 2L phase 1 Foz box got the respectable 1.447:1 low range. This will literally drop into a phase 2 dual range box. If running 4.44 diffs, some crown wheel grinding work may be needed, I’m not 100% sure on that one. 

Having read a number of Subaru manuals when building my dual range box, there’s a phase 2 box with this low range from the factory. I believe this is from or in some European markets, maybe in the Russian market too. I’ve personally never seen one of those. 

Another way to do it is what I’ve done with my gearbox in my L series:

Find one of those L series AWD gearboxes with the locking centre diff. Ensure the centre diff isn’t shot. If it is walk away unless you want a parts box. Best way to check them is have the centre diff removed and check the backlash. 

Select the desired diff ratio you want to run. You will need an EJ crown and pinion gearset of the desired ratio. You use the EJ pinion shaft with the EA AWD pinion to cut and shut a hybrid EA AWD pinion shaft (longest produced by Subaru) with the EJ pinion gear at the other end. Be specific with your measuring to ensure you get a pinion shaft of the same length back. 

L series 1.59:1 low range will drop straight into this gearbox.  

Downers on this build:

- it’s expensive and replacement parts are hard to find

- in the states you’re stuck with the EA AWD drive gears as the upper gearset is dual range specific

- you would still need to run an adaptor plate and EA flywheel/clutch

After doing all of that you would probably be better off importing a low km dual range phase 2 box and putting the “awesomest” Subaru low range in. There are plenty of threads on the web as to how to do this (I recommend the write up by Phizinza on his forum offroadingsubarus.com).

My L AWD centre diff lock is mated to the back of a phase 2 dual range box from a Foz with 4.111:1 diff ratio (wish I got the 4.44:1 diffs but $$$$s), I’ve matched the speedo drive gear so my speedo is bang on accurate and have the L low range with auxiliary oil feeders over the low range gears for cooling purposes more than lubrication reasons.  For my build in the L series this is a great setup as it matches diff ratio to tyre size (27 inch), bolts up to the EJ, uses EJ clutch and flywheel - and the back end of the gearbox bolts into all the L series bits it needs to without any mods. 

Awesome box, I love it!

I hope that’s not as clear as mud! 

Cheers 

Bennie

• Like 1