Ultimate Subaru Message Board

99 legacy wagon rear diff fit in 04 outback?

I thing my diff is going in my 04 outback, I have a 99 legacy wagon I can part out, aside from the 4.11 or 4.44 gear ratio difference for the tire size difference, will everything else bolt up? Near as I can tell from old threads, It should be from at least an 2000 but no one has given me any specifics. I already have a lot of "maybe's", so no more of those please, thank you.

It will bolt in. 

Diff output methods will be different though. The ‘99 will most likely have stubs from the diff and the ‘04 will use driveshafts that have stubs that fit into the diff. 

I’m unsure if these driveshafts are 100% interchangeable. In my mind they’ll work but I’ll let someone more experienced comment on that front. 

You could do a diff centre swap between the two diffs to keep the correct driveshaft attachment method with the diff you want to use. 

Cheers 

Bennie

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, LEOD said:

Thank you both, No, that will be today I hope. Just started yesterday with a gunk gunk gunk sound when taking off which stops if front wheel drive fuse in. Gonna jack up and look at the joints today. 

probably a U joint in the driveline.  Not the rear diff.

FWIW, the diff is bolt in.  Uses same internal stub connection.  Began here in 95 models.

• Like 3

Yep, I haul four great danes with me everywhere, approximately 600 lbs. worth, and I belive it is causing the center support to knock on acceleration sounding like gear teeth. I believe I will ignore it, until summer, if it falls off, I can always pop in a fuse:)

2 hours ago, FerGloyale said:

probably a U joint in the driveline.  Not the rear diff.

FWIW, the diff is bolt in.  Uses same internal stub connection.  Began here in 95 models.

What he said. I'd bet Ujoints. And assuming the gear ratio is correct, the diff would swap right in.

• Like 1