Ultimate Subaru Message Board

05 Outback engine in an 06 Forester or 04 outback

I've read mixed info on whether this engine swap would work. I have an 05 outback with a good engine in it and am looking at an 06 forester with a blown motor. Was hoping to throw the engine from the 05 into the 06 but want to be sure this is a workable swap before I jump in. Another option is going back a year to an 04

If not, what info is out there on engine compatability between 2000-2009s?

Edited by bucktailpath

30 minutes ago, 3Pin said:

I put a 2000 block in an 07 with a bad block.  Used the 07 heads, intake and oil pan.  McGyvered the egr.  Runs like a champ.

You've got low compression then.  The 07 heads have a large chambers.  The 07 pistons protrude up into that chamber (above the deck)

So if you've got 2000 pistons in there still, you've got low compression.  Sure it runs.  But it isn't correct.  Should have swapped the pistons over too.

I guess if the OP wants to do that he could.  But you'd have to use the 06 heads with the 06 ECU and intake.  

I mean if you wanted to throw mad CEL codes I guess the 05 engine would run dropped in directly but wouldn't have AVLS so would throw codes maybe run weird.

Oh and yeah a few 05 Outbacks had weird, single, oval port exhaust on the heads so that's a maybe issue too.

How low is the compression?   It ran really well and the mileage was solid.  Never noticed a problem and sold it as I had too many other projects. Others on the site here said no problem to the idea.   Thanks for your input though.

2 hours ago, 3Pin said:

How low is the compression?   It ran really well and the mileage was solid.  Never noticed a problem and sold it as I had too many other projects. Others on the site here said no problem to the idea.   Thanks for your input though.

IDK.  You'd have to do the math.

But the 06 pistons definitely protrude into the head.

So if you put those 06 heads on 2000 pistons, there is alot of extra room in that chamber......probably still over 8.5 to 1 so it's not surprising it ran OK......I just bet the HP/torque maximums would show a bit lower if measured.