Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Vintage plaid interior photos wanted

I want to incorporate authentic plaid patterns used in the late 70s / early 80s Subarus into some of the graphic design / merch projects I have planned as I resurrect my hobby this year. I'm finding that they are not well-represented in search results here or elsewhere due to expired links, poor resolution / camera angle, etc. I've checked USMB, Google, Pinterest, Flickr, eBay, BringATrailer, McBrat's brochure database, etc. 

Ideally I'd like to see us end up with an index of all these patterns; I'm not asking for exclusivity because I would also like to see what other people do with this resource :) but if any of you own Subarus with their original plaid upholstery and would please consider contributing, here's what I'd like to ask for in your photo:

• Take photo from dead-straight angle so the pattern is as square as possible
  • Span a tape measure or yardstick, etc across part of the pattern for scale
  • Best possible lighting is daylight - flash photos would provide the least accurate color
  • Include a little bit of white paper in the photo for easy correction of white balance
  • Include some of the surrounding vinyl 
  • Include year and trim level of your car

Thanks very much! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've recently come into possession of a 1983 Paint and Upholstery pamphlet for GL/DL/Brats. It includes paint colors, and interior options on what models/trims. I can scan it and upload it here. The examples are a little small, but it should do the trick for giving you the right colours and patterns, as it's unfaded like some interiors might be.

Here is photo of my 1983 Brat GL. Exterior is Cosmic blue with blue striped interior as shown on the brochure.  I would have added photo of fabric used to repaired the drivers seat, but one photo on lowest resolution was 1.5 mb and wouldn't allow me to add another photo.

Passenger seat is original and reasonablely good at 203,000 miles, but drivers seat back gone and seat needs to be replaced too.

Hope that helps. 

IMG_20190401_160943286.jpg

• 6 months later...

81EA81 that is amazing thank you very much. 

All, I should have had email notifications active for this post and I apologize for failing to acknowledge your replies. Thanks for taking the time to reply. 

PigEqualsBakon - thanks for the offer but I'm looking for the older plaids with one foot in the late 70s. i appreciate your offer though. Same thanks-anyway to Whitestorm and jdkneppy. 

If anyone else can contribute plaid interior photos of the same style as 81EA81's I'd appreciate it. Thanks very much. 

I have always enjoyed the brown plaid interior on my 81 GL wagon glad to share it.  Will take better pictures on the weekend in sunlight if I can get the board to allow me to post pictures again.  Drivers seat is shot but the passenger seat has been covered for the past 22 years of it's life so it should be dam near original, rear is in pretty good shape to.

My interior is identical to the Desert Fox Subaru interior except mine is more used so nothing really new.

Edited by Subi81
Added desert fox

Back seat was probably the best example the front seat covers were breaking down pretty bad and appeared to darken the fabric with some fuzz but I took pictures non the less.  If you want the full size pics PM me your preferred method to get you the full size pics ~9mb each.

Shadow on the passenger seat is where the windshield glass is cracked.

tn_IMG_6649.thumb.JPG.fdf7dc935ede2c868e5c8e1466725a10.JPGtn_IMG_6650.thumb.JPG.d77366d0b5786a70b41a51b1fe515a8b.JPGtn_IMG_6651.thumb.JPG.127da7f7eeeb125f1f2e3029d9de22a9.JPGtn_IMG_6652.thumb.JPG.fa278c49d3c16fa56e3c30d9455ab864.JPGtn_IMG_6654.thumb.JPG.5b50111abc97a5e561f49f546d0cff92.JPG

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
On 4/1/2019 at 4:28 PM, jdkneppy said:

Here is photo of my 1983 Brat GL. Exterior is Cosmic blue with blue striped interior as shown on the brochure.  I would have added photo of fabric used to repaired the drivers seat, but one photo on lowest resolution was 1.5 mb and wouldn't allow me to add another photo.

Passenger seat is original and reasonablely good at 203,000 miles, but drivers seat back gone and seat needs to be replaced too.

Hope that helps. 

IMG_20190401_160943286.jpg

I would kill for some of this blue striped fabric!