Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Question about purchasing a subie with a lot of miles.

So my son had an 2003 legacy L,  we had done the head gaskets a year ago and other then very medicore MPG the thing was a tank.  Then a jaguar came alone and totalled it :(  Everyone's ok but now I'm looking to help get him car.  He wants another subie, and really just want to get something that will give 2-3 years of trouble free driving, but for cheap.

So I found a 2007 Legacy, 2.5.  It has had the head gaskets replaced, timing belt, ball joints.  New tires, etc.  Guy wants 2.5K for it which I think is pretty fair.  The only thing is it has high miles,  284,000 miles to be exact.    I've always heard that after the head gaskets are dealt with that these things run forever practically.    Just would like some thoughts on the longevity of these and if  that's just too many miles...

thx!

They will run and run well over 300k. The problem is the rest of the car has 300k miles as well. controls/ switches are worn, bushings are gone, struts are gone. everything is just plain worn out. I'd offer $500 if it's solid and runs good, then replace all the struts and bushings, and everything else

I think $500 is too low and will piss him off.  Offer him a fair price with the thought you might have to replace some stuff.  A good inspection will reveal if there is immediate needs.  Or find one that needs maybe a bigger repair for cheap and spend the $ to make it safe and right for your son.   Either way, make you are not upside down on the car value in avg or good shape on edmunds or kbb and then what market value is for your area.

Good luck!

my 2 cents

A car with 284k miles just has no value really. Whatever Carmax would give is what it would be worth as that would be the safe investment point should it need to be gotten rid of, and that is it right around $5-800 I would think. Very few people are going to want it so it's not a safe investment over that.. 2-3 years would put it over 400k miles depending on driving habits.

find a local independent mech. that is Subaru friendly - you may need one anyway for a prepurchase inspection.

Ask if he has any Subaru-owning customers that might be trading-up soon.

but, the older a car is, the less important the brand and the more important the past care and present condition.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

On 1/27/2019 at 3:43 PM, matt167 said:

A car with 284k miles just has no value really. 

"value" is slightly ambiguous - you're probably right!   but it will sell for that price. they do all the time. many markets support Subarus that new with no rust holes which run and drive with no current major issues for $2k.  Particularly a Subaru or truck with 4WD in the winter.  People are buying $2,000 rusty subaru's - a few of them would gladly tolerate the higher miles over rust holes and age. 

Yes you'll loose a large percent of the market.  Out of 100 people in that price range of Subarus, maybe 90 of them will pass, but 10 will be interested and tired of seeing rust holes, dangling exhaust, and failed inspections. 

7 hours ago, idosubaru said:

"value" is slightly ambiguous - you're probably right!   but it will sell for that price. they do all the time. many markets support Subarus that new with no rust holes which run and drive with no current major issues for $2k.  Particularly a Subaru or truck with 4WD in the winter.  People are buying $2,000 rusty subaru's - a few of them would gladly tolerate the higher miles over rust holes and age. 

Yes you'll loose a large percent of the market.  Out of 100 people in that price range of Subarus, maybe 90 of them will pass, but 10 will be interested and tired of seeing rust holes, dangling exhaust, and failed inspections. 

In boulder, CO people LOVE vintage subes and WILL pay a premium.

In fact the old Subaru (90s Loyales and first gen legacy) market (bubble?) is still going amazingly strong, where for example, a clean 92 legacy with 215,000 miles would be for sale for around $2500, and a 05-09 outback TURBO with similar miles would be about $4000. Naturally aspirated 05-09 about $2500- $3500 depending on body and interior. A very well cared for, low miles 05-09 turbo outback might fetch around $7500.

Beat up loyales push button 4wd, high miles, rust, beat up interior is no less than $1000 (asking) if running and driving.

Guess the "hippies" (hipsters now, smh) in boulder put a premium on the phase one ej22. I saw a clean white 90 leggo, factory fresh and babied, about 75,000 miles asking $5000 and honestly wasn't out of line, she would be a lovely ss clone!

There still exists however the $500 leggo, loyale or impreza that won't pass the e test and just needs a knock, sometimes head gasket.

Edited by sparkyboy