Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I’ve bought a 1991 AWD Legacy LS Special wagon for a teen driver’s first car. It’s got a leak in the front air shocks.

What is the most cost effective way to repair/ replace?  I’m $1500 in and this car only has 98k miles on it, so a lot of potential life, but an inexperienced driver. 

Can they be swapped out for regular shocks or is there an affordable aftermarket air option? Should I look for struts from a junk yard? Is it worth it to pay $600 per strut to Subaru for their replacement parts? 

Welcome to the USMB, Aembuff.  The general feeling here is to pull the airbag system and replace with standard struts & springs--preferably KYBs and preferably from a Pull n' Pay!

I'm no expert on suspension but I'm sure folks with experience will chime in with help.

By the way, good choice for a teen's first car.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes , you’ll want to not bother with the air system and swap over to regular stock assemblies. Junkyard , parts car donor , whatever you can find. Maybe buy some new KYB’s to replace struts , or go cheap since I personally wasted my money on KYB’s since my son ended up killing the car and I couldn’t get my KYB’s back before the car go crushed.

Be sure to get good top mounts. Not Chinese crap. Even keeping the originals are better than new Chinese’s garbage - take my word !

We swapped out our 94 Legacy wagon air for standard and all is great now. 

Good luck with it and the kid. Cheers!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1