Ultimate Subaru Message Board

A gift from Pleiades

The back story on this 88 GL:

This guy Bryce and a business partner started an auto detailing and tint shop in boulder, CO 14 years ago. The first shop car was this Subaru! I spotted her while walking my dog and had to chat the dudes up on the gl!

I worked there for a year because it was right across the street from where I lived with my gf at the time, plus i could bring my dog with me to work. I was coincidentally finishing my ej22 swap on my 86 GL.

This poor car was abused by college kids at times, and drove for years with a leaky head gasket, but routine oil changes. Still, at least once a week I would hassle him that I have an ej22 and harness, so what's up? 

Anyway they sold the company and came out pretty nice because the location is ideal, in the same complex as high end independent german, swedish and japanese repair shops.

Every auto related shop there has a shop race car, including the little tint shop, and they have the only Subaru, a slammed brz :P they only did exotics and classics during the summer and new audis and bmws from dealerships during the winter when I was there, so they were quite successful.

So I ran into Bryce a couple of times at cars and coffee, but he calls me the other day and tells me the new owners want these "pieces of crap" off the property and the Subaru means a lot to him, and he knows that I'll give her a good home. My response was a dumbfounded "you really thought of me for that?" Probably the biggest car related compliment i have ever received! Or maybe just advantages to being weirder than the other sube guys in boulder (all wrx boy racers here lol)

They were hoarders and also had an 88 Honda accord, a 80s vw jetta, a 1990 Mitsubishi montero, and an 85 toyota tercel 4wd as shop cars, all of which went to good homes as well, so super nice guys those two. 

I think I'll fix the head gasket and rust, and pay it forward. Get someone into, or back into a third gen GL on the cheap. But i am keeping the premiers and probably the dual range.

Another little gift was an 8 spoke in the spare tire. I only need two more for two full sets of spoke steelies! 

20190202_151915.thumb.jpg.9b304204be4731b9f8d36bdf52c73689.jpg

20190202_152812.thumb.jpg.07653983d47be695ea7996dfc5dfa866.jpg

20190202_152035.thumb.jpg.0f107aa14050dd321d1a88d1e7e9e099.jpg

Resized_20190202_152641.thumb.jpeg.eb1173b01f788d720d9fb11031ad172a.jpeg

Edited by sparkyboy

4 hours ago, Crazyeights said:

Awesome! Another old school Subaru saved from the scrapper, at least for a little while :D

Haha! Oh perish the thought of the scrapper! The GL will only go to someone who loves her like me and is ready for that ej swap! Someone like that, $500. No fools from craigslist!  

Me and my bro are true car hoarders. :rolleyes: or idiots...we have been yelled at, and sat down for a serious talk by our parents, but not recently!

The only time the scrapper would be in the conversation for anything we even remotely like is if the old girl were crashed badly, but we have accumulated so many projects that we are selling some because we are running out of room! But we would rather sell her to even a casual friend for less if they truly love the thing and at least take her to cars and coffee sometimes, but most are sold to good friends who stop by just cause or work on whatever.

I emphase remotely because my bro got that white 89 bronco in the background of those sube pics for a trade on some fuel sipper like a Honda or toyota years ago when gas was $4 a gallon, but she sat for several years. We both dug her out, and she is supposed to be going to a friend's dad. Neither of us even like fords, chevy is closest to my heart! Then 80s Subarus bodies with ej engines and that's it for me. But we must have soft spots for 80s crap. Lol!

My swapped sube will murder that bronco off roading. So I'll be a lot pickier about my subes future home, if that ever comes up, Haha! The 88 gl is going to get some love soon!

My bro loves the e30 bmws, he daily drives a 86 325ix (also in the background and rare in the US that year, a little over 300) and has a 318 with s52 swap. He only likes the LS engines as far as gm goes.

Hell, it would be easier to make a list. Between me and my bro mostly, my dad bought 3 of these!

-Chevy:   1953 bel air,  1977 camaro (my first car! Thanks dad!)   1977 g10 (shorty cargo van)  1978 g30 rv (shag carpet!)   1980 malibu

-Bmw:    1988 318, 1986 325ix, 1988 318 with s52 (m5) swap. Two parts ixs that can be made into one good one. 1989 740L

-Subaru: 1985 xt turbo, 1986 gl with ej22,  1988 gl

-Others: 1985 datsun king cab 4x4, (behind the sube in pics above) 

1980 toyota 2wd truck LS swap project (!)

1999 dodge dakota sport, 1989 ford bronco, e46 wagon, 2000 nissan xterra (all for sale)

-Notable "sales" to friends:

Two alpine white e34 wagons,  one for dudes wife and he brought his back for a manual swap (auto only in the US for e34 wagons, thanks beemer you dix)

1965 chevy Malibu (saw her at the drag strip!)

1970 chevy c10 

1985 chevy Monte Carlo 

1992 Subaru legacy, i gave that car to a friend :P still munching miles!

1970 datsun 240z

1995 bmw 540 with six speed (rare!)

1989 e30 4 door, (dads friend's kid turned 16 and sh!t himself!)

Our car collecting has gotten out of hand i suppose from some perspectives that don't understsnd this "hobby", but except for the toyota truck they all run and drive, so no junkyard. If i get additional grief from anyone, i can always argue that i could much easier spend money on drugs and gambling instead and have a lot more fun in the short run, but nothing to show for it. And the best part is honestly putting someone up on game on why old cars are in many ways better than new and having it backfire because they beg you to sell them one of your beloved metal girls!

Also, despite college i have never had a full time job lol!  I'm 35 this year :lol: old cars and german shepherds allow me and my bro to work at our own pace, which is not often, like 8 hours a week.

We are known as Rocky mountain subaru and bmw rescue, a for profit historical charity, with a no scrapper policy ...an e34 was rescued today in fact, $350 cause she needs a hg. $2500 if fixed is fair.  *sigh* wtf? Damn kids! A thouski for friend price! 

Cheers boys

Edited by sparkyboy

1988 was a good year:

iHLdw5.jpg

I’m not sold on the drugs being good fun!  But I do agree about the collecting of cars and parent’s lectures...  I just wish I lived closer to m&d’s place where most of my cars are stashed!

It’s pretty awesome of you to collect, fix and “re-home” these awesome Subarus!  Gotta keep them alive so the aftermarket parts industry keeps making bits!

Cheers 

Bennie

• Like 1

16 hours ago, el_freddo said:

1988 was a good year:

I’m not sold on the drugs being good fun!  But I do agree about the collecting of cars and parent’s lectures...  I just wish I lived closer to m&d’s place where most of my cars are stashed!

It’s pretty awesome of you to collect, fix and “re-home” these awesome Subarus!  Gotta keep them alive so the aftermarket parts industry keeps making bits!

Cheers 

Bennie

1988 was a good year, that's the year my younger brother was born. I was 4 at the time, so i don't remember much, my parents been together nearly 40 years! 

Yea my dad only lost his temper oncebover our car purchasing, long story short four years ago me and my bro got a small inheritance from our grandparents, $10k.

I went on vacation with my dog for months, I only spent about $2500 cause I slept in my GL but slowly made my way to .CA. I stayed around the hot springs in western CO for a whole month just loving life, I saw the grand canyon first time, saw an old friend in las Vegas first time in 10 years! I started with one k on blackjack and lost $16k! I shoulda quit but I wanted a 71 chevelle and just needed to double...two aces so split...dealer gets blackjack! I tipped him $1000 and walked away with my $1000 so no loss!

My bro used about the same amount of money over the course of six months on a favorite drug and lost his job (pro mechanic) because of it, his boss knew he was high and fired him, but gave him months to clean up his act...

but he would often talk about wanting to quit his job and i would urge him to quit if he wasn't happy. We can start a family business.

My dad was strongly opposed, even though I had been freelancing dog training, and very select auto repair gigs-phase one subarus and gm muscle cars, which I did at the detail shop so no nonsense in the street. Boulder is very dog friendly too! Dogs are allowed in grocery stores and everything if they behave. And i got a nice 96 Subaru for an old amp that needed a wheel bearing and sold for $750. 

So if my dumbazz can manage like that in boulder, my bro can do it cause he has a lot more skills, except for muscle! Lol! It's funny cause I knew for a FACT I had a carb issue...he advised ignition and we argued and my dad chimed that he knows his sh!t so listen to him...kinda snotty implying that i don't know...so i replaced everything except the her and the wires were crap. I put it all back together and changed the damn jet, all good :lol: so my dad can use the "he's a mechanic" argument against me, but not for freelancing? Smh

So it's been two years, my bro has been off opiates for a few months now, cause i reluctantly helped him quit with a substitute drug that is also highly addicting, but is easy to quit...once you wanna sleep! You know...i did it last 12 years ago cause it ruins lives quick...but it worked and bills stay paid!

Anyway, I can understand my pops viewpoint...his jobless older son who horses around all day, but has some cool sh!t, telling his younger drug addicted son that he dosen't need a job? All the while "tricking off" my money on road trips, subarus, chevys and organic grass fed diet for my show titled German shepherd.

Nowadays he knows that I am at least happier than I have ever been in my life, he smiled at the 88gl and accepts that I never "grew out of" punk rock and gangsta rap cause I grew up with that sh!t, and yea his kids are weirdos.

The deciding factor for my bro was that if for any reason I don't wanna work, I don't. He has grasped that well cause I got him a season pass and he goes snowboarding at least once a week :P we'll have to change our tune to keep a chick around if either of us want a family, but I'll hold out hope for a girl who did her own ej swap and has her dog 24/7! Lol hashtag single! Pops was mad as hell at the blackjack story but I wanted that 71 for $30k hahaha!

Edited by sparkyboy

12 hours ago, Subarule said:

Is the dog available?

Lol! She is available! For photoshoots! She's technically a professional model, her picture was used on a business card and we got $40! A grass fed steak for her and a triple cheeseburger from five guys for me!

I am expecting a litter from a friend, but perhaps toward the late fall I'll have a few for sale! Come to CO in a vintage subaru and I'll give the friend price... $1700 unless you pull up in an xt or have the ej22 swap, then $1500 lol!

Resized_WP_20150722_001001.thumb.jpeg.d972d9b94839b5fa861429558ab4303d.jpeg

• Like 1