Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Trouble Starting 83 Brat GL

Hi, 

I'm having trouble seems like every time I start my 83 Brat GL 1.8. Put in an expensive Odyssey battery with 850cc amps and installed new cables. 

I realize it's been cold here in NYC, but for instance today temp outside about 40, car turns over easily but won't fire up. Tried starting fluid in the carb, didn't help. 

I do notice two things, one of the two radiator fans fires up every time when ignition is on, and the low power lamp comes on the dash in the battery readout. 

Ideas? 

Thanks again! 

Fan shouldn't run with key on.  I'd unplug that fan for now and figure out why it's on constant.

As for the light on dash, that is normal is normal, as long as it goes out when engine starts.

For cold temp starting, press gas pedal 2 or 3 times to the floor, then release, and keep your foot off the gas until it starts.  This primes the intake with fuel from the accelerator pump, and sets the choke open.  It may sputter out after catching, just repeat procedure until it catches well enough to begin the high idle.  Let it warm up 5 mins before you drive in cold weather.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, FerGloyale said:

Fan shouldn't run with key on.  I'd unplug that fan for now and figure out why it's on constant.

As for the light on dash, that is normal is normal, as long as it goes out when engine starts.

For cold temp starting, press gas pedal 2 or 3 times to the floor, then release, and keep your foot off the gas until it starts.  This primes the intake with fuel from the accelerator pump, and sets the choke open.  It may sputter out after catching, just repeat procedure until it catches well enough to begin the high idle.  Let it warm up 5 mins before you drive in cold weather.

Thanks a lot, your technique worked like a champ I think I was flooding it. I just put in a new air cleaner assy, the hose which I think should connect with the intake flap has a bolt on it, see attached. 

20190203_141624.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well I found out today why that auxiliary fan had gotten hooked up, I disconnected it and the engine boiled over, lol. So let me ask, should the stock EA81 engine have one or two fans? On mine I assume either the central one died, or the thermostat element or wiring failed. Any ideas appreciated to get back to stock. 

17 minutes ago, divinicus said:

Well I found out today why that auxiliary fan had gotten hooked up, I disconnected it and the engine boiled over, lol. So let me ask, should the stock EA81 engine have one or two fans? On mine I assume either the central one died, or the thermostat element or wiring failed. Any ideas appreciated to get back to stock. 

If you have A/C it should have two fans, without A/C just one. Could be a failed T-stat. Otherwise I would suspect the temp switch in the radiator (passenger side, should be single wire).