Ultimate Subaru Message Board

need help asap please car died in driveway leaving for work

hello i need ideas what to check please i am late for work allready called them as i was pulling out of the driveway my 1998 outback ej22 stumbled and stalled rolled back into the driveway and is now a crank no start what can i check to try and fix this? does the 98's have the fuel pump issues like the newer 2000 cars?

ok have the problem located new issue the fuel pump nuts are all round 2 sizes smaller and wont come out anyone have any ideas how to remove them? car only cranks no sign of life but if i bang mon the tank or fuel pump it stumbles and tried but wont stay running i believe the fuel pump went

Yea j took my other car to work had to charge the battery and put gas in it thogh it's been parked since winter started. but yes 8 of the 10 nuts just rounded over was thinking I might be able to hammer a smaller size onto them but wont know till I try later.

Edited by sirtokesalot

you can pull the fuel hose and verify fuel flow or not.

get a smaller socket (try metric, standard and 6 point and 12 point) and pound it (no sparks!) on top of the nut.   i've had some that are really hard to get the nut out of the socket after i'm done, so have tools ready for that little situation too - pound the nut back out of the socket. 

a chisel properly worked in the loosening direction can also get them to break free.  knock a "v" shape into it and then turn your chisel to hit against the side of the V which will push the nut in the loosening direction.  It works if you get the angles and such right, but is a bit of a feel/art form than science. 

if you have any nuts that aren't totally hosed - use 6 point sockets, never touch rusty nuts and bolts with 12 point sockets, I try not to even have 12 points in my commonly available tool sets, they're not good in the rust belt except for very limited situations. 

This must be a dumb answer, but  why not use a small vice grip to get the nut started?

Also it's really strange to have the nuts rusted or rounded off in that location.   And I have had owned a number of 90's subarus for years in the snowbelt.  

7 hours ago, mikec03 said:

This must be a dumb answer, but  why not use a small vice grip to get the nut started?

Also it's really strange to have the nuts rusted or rounded off in that location.   And I have had owned a number of 90's subarus for years in the snowbelt.  

actually, it is not that unusual.. have had several myself, and more than one had rusty fuel pump nuts..

patience and a lot of PB Blaster/favorite penetrating oil is what is required here.. don't want to break one of those little studs

sometimes, vice grips make things worse because the main force is squeezing tighter in one direction. Worth trying in an emergency of course.

those VGs with the 'wr' suffix are very handy to have. they have a flat section, a curved pipe/rod grabbing area, and a wire cutter area - lots of holding and destruction options ! lol

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan