Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'95 Legacy leaking red, cloudy gear oil?

'95 Legacy w/ ej22 and 4eat. No CEL, no running issues (yet) other than some occasional times it holds "3" when really cold for awhile before going into OD. Had the extreme cold, now rain. Went to move the car and noticed there was an extremely cloudy substance under the front on the pavement, with some red mixed in. Feels/smells like gear oil, but it's red? Also, the cloudy patch is huge, and reminds me of silicone lube spray. No idea what it is, or where it's coming from (raining)? And if it's cloudy, I'm thinking water is mixing somewhere? Didn't see any green in the fluid.

What uses a gear oil under the front?

ATF is red. ATF is used in the gearbox if it is an automatic obviously. And ATF is used in the power steering. 

So It could be a leaking power steering system (check the fluid in reservoir)

It could be your automatic is leaking ATF (bad) check the dipstick

It could be that your gearbox seal between the front diff and automatic is broken (very bad) and that it is leaking out of the front diff. Check front diff dipstick.

To check the PS: pump and lines and steering rack for leaks. There rubber boots around the moving parts of the steering rack, they age.

Automatic: There cooling lines from the gearbox to the radiator, check those for leaks.

Front diff: check the drive axle places where enter the diff.

Check all drain plugs

Edited by rverdoold
  • Like 1

It felt like actual gear oil and seemed greasy like it. Also had a hint of sulfur, which trans fluid usually doesn't smell like. The trans dip stick is practically glued into the tube atm to the point I didn't want to have my knuckles go flying if the yellow top breaks off, so can't check the level atm.

And to be clear, there were only a few drops/streaks of red. The actual puddle (if you can even call it that) is tacky to the touch and cream colored like silicone vs. a wet spot of trans fluid. Was wondering if the trans cooler line (pretty sure it has one to the radiator though not 100% certain and not near car right now) might have picked something up from the radiator and circulated the coolant back to the trans and it's puking that out now? Like if the side tank on the radiator cracked internally?

just check all your fluids and examine the CV boots - particularly the inner one for splits.

maybe the rain is washing across some pre-existing oil or grease....?

some folks that have had older 4EATs with 'delayed engagement' report very good results from using Trans-X. Often, they add it after doing a coupla drain/fill/drive-a-little procedures before the final darin and fill with the Trans-X only in the final fill.

I'll try and get the dip stick to the trans out and see where the line is at (hopefully it's still red in color). Still can't believe an o-ring can hold one in so tight despite spinning if being twisted.

I had noticed something burning a bit/slight smoke the other day after stopping and idling in a parking lot before a Dr. apt. Popped the hood and couldn't tell where it was coming from. Thought maybe the valve cover was just dripping, but it smelled slightly off vs. oil burning.

The delayed OD isn't too big of a deal (trans/engine has 195k IIRC) and it's strictly a winter car at this point (last year busted out several cans of foam expansion spray to seal all the rust holes and seal the gaps around the welded-in plates holding what's left of the rear strut tower together and sealed a hole forming on the other side; sealed rocker holes and another hole going inside; expansion foam is the BEST and my hatch area is 100% dry despite some nasty gaps where metal used to be; found a similar color spray can and covered any exposed foam :D). IIRC, the trans fluid was done after I got it around 172k. Had been thinking maybe it was leaking a bit or something and tried to get that dip stick out, but it was like 10 below at the time so I let it be.

The big thing throwing me for a loop is the creamy grease-like puddle. Never seen anything like it. I'll have to update once it's figured out. Thanks guy!

no running issues (yet) other than some occasional times it holds "3" when really cold for awhile before going into OD.

it is supposed to do this when it is really cold out.. fluid needs to hit a certain temp level before shifting - so this is not an actual problem. when it is sub-zero temps around here it is not uncommon for mine to hold "3" for 5 or more miles before finally shifting.. just go easy on it till it warms up.

as for the spots in the drive.. as already mentioned.. check ALL fluid levels.