Ultimate Subaru Message Board

CV Axle spins in neutral, Loyale won't accelerate or reverse

My 92' Loyale makes a terrible grinding sound when I put it in first gear and try to acclerate, same with reverse. The car won't move at all and the passenger front CV axle is moving when I'm parked in neutral. Should I replace the whole Axl or is this a hub/ wear bearing? (Brand new bearing) thanks for the help!

Manual or Automatic transmission? FWD or 4WD? Help us out.

What part of the CV axle is spinning? Just the inner joint? Shaft? Outer joint? Pop the wheel cover off and start it, is the axle nut spinning?

Sounds like either axle failure, or the splines on the hub have stripped.

4WD 5 speed manual. When the car is on the ground the whole CV Axle spins, the nut does not spin. When the car is in the air nothing spins at all. 

I just had the wheel bearing replaced and the CV has been torn open for awhile so I'm gonna start with replacing that. 

If it helps this happened after getting  stuck in a mud pit and had to be pulled out.  I parked the car and when I tried to drive again it did this.

16 hours ago, Nowah9 said:

4WD 5 speed manual. When the car is on the ground the whole CV Axle spins, the nut does not spin. When the car is in the air nothing spins at all. 

I just had the wheel bearing replaced and the CV has been torn open for awhile so I'm gonna start with replacing that. 

If it helps this happened after getting  stuck in a mud pit and had to be pulled out.  I parked the car and when I tried to drive again it did this.

The nut is part of the axle, so if it's not spinning, something isn't spinning.

If the shaft is spinning, but not the outer joint, than there's your break. I'm guessing this is the case.

If you put it in 4WD, it should drive fairly normally (effectively RWD, now).