Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need recommendation on headlight bulbs

2 hours ago, jeryst said:

I'm running Silver Star bulbs right now. One or the other burns out after a year or so, so I replace the pair. Headlight adjustment should be better, but the adjusters are so rusted they wont move and I havent been able to find replacement adjuster screws. The lenses are somewhat cloudy, so a friend of mine that has a body shop polished them,  with polishing compound and a buffer. They were nice and clear for a couple months, but then got cloudy again.

Mine was so bad I finally ended up replacing them. Headlight adjustment may be part of your issue. But I always felt my 89 Justy had better headlights then my Outbacks

Anybody ever use that "Whipe-New" stuff they advertise on TV that is supposed to last a year? They show it clearing up lights. I know enough not to believe that stuff, but even if it would work for a month, I wouldnt mind giving the lights a quick wipe once a month.

As for the adjustment, I was just thinking about loosening up the lights and see if I could put a washer on the bottom bolt to shift the beams up a little.

I dont want to invest in a new set of lights. The car has the 2.5 with 150k miles on it so I'm expecting a head gasket to fail at any time. Plus its starting to get rust that needs fixed, etc. so I just dont want to put money into it.

I just did my wife's Headlights with the Maguires Pictured below, the top two show them just polished (1k then 3k sand then polish)  the bottom shows with the "sealant"
Its not terribly difficult to do, really. Just wet sand <---> with each sand pad/disk evenly. then wash and dry. then apply the polish. The drill bit is for the polishing part - same method. slow and steady then wipe, clean and dry. The sealant (make sure you have gloves on!) just wipes on evenly by wiping across the lens. 

Took maybe 10 min each light? 

edit: they give you more than plenty that you can keep the kit for other vehicles. I plan on doing her tail lights as well as the taillights on my car, too. 

PhotoGrid_1552139559314.jpg

edit: Had to finish it off with a full wash
"Abby" Cleans up so nicely!
Image may contain: car

-Justin

• Like 1