Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Crank but won't start.... Subie Newbie 2000wrx

Hi all,  I am freshly signed up,  and also fresh to Subaru's. Must admit I'm a car freak from way back,  so I know my way around most old school Aussie sold cars.  But when it comes to computers and other new age electrical systems on most modern cars,  I seem to have fallen behind. 

Now I'm hoping that somebody could give me a direction of where to look, I've got a 'no start' issue. 

Bought Subaru Wrx not running, thought I'd give it a go. Previous owner did an engine swap, ej20 replacing ej20. He never could start it after swapping,  but it ran b4 that, low on comp in one cyl. 

Now I've tried a lot of things,  had a auto electrician out here for 4hrs, changed Cam and crank gears,  changed both sensors,  even though the old ones appeared to send a wave on screen.  It sparked once when ignition turned on,  so I changed pulleys,  still won't start. 

Any info appreciated

Edited by DoubleU.Ahhr.Exx
Not enough info

Yes,  I checked  for spark again,  should have realised, but the wrong key must have been in it after I changed the crank and Cam sensors.  So with correct key,  now I do have spark. 

But the car still won't run. I tried starter spray fluid,  and it runs.  Step in right direction. Checked injector pulse,  all good there.. And checked the positive side,  positive has power with ignition. Has plenty fuel in rails,  so I changed injectors,  no difference.  

At this stage,  a lot of parts are off the engine,  perhaps I should put things back on,  in case of a sensor not reading correctly? Or the fuel may be too old... Over 12mths old.  Drain and check. 

Sounds to me like the timing is too retarted for the engine to crank over if everything else is perfect. Make sure you put the cam gears back on right and pulleys and I’d just take the timing belt out and fully redo it to make sure it’s dead on. Subarus are finicky 

Edited by 83subaruGLchick

Late last night changed fuel,  got as much out as possible, flushed the line and injector rail. Had a quick shot at starting it... It ran,  very roughly, but enough to put a grin on my face.  Re-fitting some important things, such as radiator, inter cooler, air box,  etc. Hoping for an improvement. Wat u guys think,  these things will make any difference? 

not to pound away at it, but, a great triple check for timing is a tooth count. You can find the proper tooth count for your engine on-line.

you only need to bring the pulley marks around so the marks are on a belt tooth, then count teeth between the marks. An engine cane run 2 maybe 3 teeth off.

that sais, it really does seem like the fuel was old or contaminated - a product like our Techron might clean the system and injectors out to some degree.

getting data with a ELM327 BT adapter and smartphone app like Torque could help going forward.

look at the knock sensor, they can crack and go bad without setting a code. cheap replacement have worked well for people here - often bought from ebay for instance. It will rob power - pulls ignition timing too much.

just some ideas.

Changed the knock sensor already too... But good news. 

It's running. 

well after all the gears were changed,  injectors, couple broken wires,  broken connecting clips,  new fuel, new sensors, correct key, and new plugs,  re-fitted radiator and as much of the parts that came with the car I started looking at vacuum hoses and water hoses. 

It turned out that the previous owner had put a water hose into a vacuum hose tail on the inlet manifold.  And of course flooded  the fuel/air mix with water. Silly mistake,  but easily done.  Sorted that out,  and bango...started up straight away,  ran like a dream.  Thanks for help,  and good luck luck with your projects.  Cheers for now

• Like 3