Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Aisin timing belt kit for 2003 Forester w/auto trans?

Does Aisin make a timing belt kit for an '03 Forester with auto trans?  Every one I find listed is for a manual trans.  Is there really a difference?  Will the manual trans versions work with an auto?  If there is a kit, can someone give me the part number of the auto kit?  Thanks!

Probably not because of the weird front facing nipple oil cooler port on the water pump. Delete the oil cooler and use the manual kit or buy the individual components from NSK, NTN, Koyo, Mitsuboshi, and I'm pretty sure NPW makes that weird water pump although you need to buy an OEM gasket because they come with paper. 

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder
  • Like 1

Doesn't include the water pump. But yeah that's an independent Subaru shop like me but in Seattle. I'm sure they are using the same suppliers I am for OEM parts. Their cost on those parts is about $156 so that's a very reasonable retail sale price. The NPW water pump is an F28 and you'll probably pay another $75 for that. So figure about $300 for an over the counter OEM kit. That's about what I charge on my invoices when performing the complete service with labor. 

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

Delete the oil cooler and use the manual kit 

I second this comment by GD.  I have heard that the oil coolers leak and I have the same vehicle (2003 Forester) with MT and I don't have an oil cooler, not sure why an auto would need an engine oil cooler.  The AT oil is cooled by a coil inside the radiator.

The oil/coolant heat exchanger is pretty useless on that vehicle. Even the 08+ WRX don't have them anymore (STI's still do). If a quality synthetic oil is used it's a waste of space. It can easily be deleted by purchasing the water pump for the MT, and the oil filter nipple and block plug from Subaru. We routinely delete them. 

GD

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Mike104 said:

I have heard that the oil coolers leak and I have the same vehicle (2003 Forester) with MT and I don't have an oil cooler, not sure why an auto would need an engine oil cooler. 

$7 o-ring and a 15/16" socket.  Change it with the oil change.  You don't even have to unhook the coolant lines to it, just slip it down.  

If you really don't want to buy the appropriate water pump, you can get a thermostat housing from subaru that has a nipple on it and use that with the "regular" water pump.  They are metal, not sure what models they were on but they are available.