Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Loyale won’t run

So I bought a 92 Loyale 4WD wagon. With 278k miles for $700. Awesome right? Anyway, it had a small misfire so I got excited and replaced the distributor cap, rotor, wires, plugs, ignition coil, and a new fuel filter. Annnnnd nothing. It turns over but won’t start. So I did some tinkering with the spark plug wires and got it to start but only every once and a while will it start. And that’s with a lot of effort. And it’ll only stay running if I hold the gas down a little bit. Every once and a while it’ll idle on its own but the second I hit the gas and let go it dies. I used a test light and I’m getting spark from all ports on the cap. Any answers would be greatly appreciated!!!

Edited by Supermikey97
Wrong information

The coolant temperature sensor can cause trouble with cold starts.  And running.  If it doesn't report the engine temp.   correctly,  the ecu won't deliver the proper amount of fuel.  Worth testing that.  2 wire sensor on the housing the thermostat is in.

+1 to DaveT's CTS recommendation. Check the impedance with an ohm meter... Haynes says it should be 2-3k ohm at 68f, going down as temperature goes up. If its reading meg ohms, as mine was, then its definitely bad. Do you have check engine light? Codes? There's an alternate Bosh part that you can solder in for much less than OEM part, can confirm it works. Good luck!