Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Anyo In Denver area want to help get this rx going?

It's got spark and it stopped running after po got a new battery for it, so I'm pretty sure the timing is fine. It cranks and sparks just won't turn over. 4 shops locally have said they don't want to bother looking at it and I'm trying to keep my homie from just selling it. It's in Golden by the coors brewery. Neither of us really have time to dig into it without a little more direction 

86(?) rx coupe turbo(might be an 87)

Try checking fuel level in the tank then confirming that the fuel pump runs. It could be a dead efi pump. 

Does it start with starter fluid? That will tell you there’s a fuel issue. 

Also check all fuses... just in case it’s that simple. 

Cheers 

Bennie

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Couldn't get it to turn with starter fluid, checking timing and stuff this weekend, the fusible links are good, I'll go through the fuses. The gas is definitely old, so I'm probably going to try draining the gas and putting fresh in, if the pump will drain the tank then I know it works, gonna replace the fuel filter while I have it off, I feel like it should start I just don't know what I'm not seeing. Have cash saved for the mechanic if anyone is feeling froggy locally 

A gas engine needs 3 things to run. Fuel, ignition, and compression. Diagnose them individually.

Getting the right gasoline mixture can be a challenge, but starting fluid is volatile enough that it's MUCH more forgiving. So that means you have a compression or ignition issue.

Pretty unlikely to completely loose compression on all 4 cylinders so suddenly.

So you're likely down to ignition. That means more than just having spark. It has to happen at the right time. Within about 10 degrees and you should get a pop. 

An EA82 will run on just the LH bank, as the distributor is driven off that cam, regardless of the RH side (I had a buddy that stopped at my house because his EA82 was even more gutless than usual, turned out his RH cam had seized). So you can assume that your problem is on the LH side. Unlikely that your ignition timing has changed considerably on it's own, but completely possible that the belt has. It's not terribly hard to pull the other timing belt cover on the LH side, and compare the mark on the cam pulley to the 3 lines on the flywheel. I bet it's jumped (I've heard of timing jumping as a result of bump-starting, so if it had a dead battery....).

Edited by Numbchux
  • Like 2

I'm in Denver bro! Where you at? I have never seen an rx in real life and i have a sh!t load of ea82 and some turbo parts, an entire engines worth. I have flapper style and hot wire maf parts that need a home.

Please hit me up I can help and i don't have to work or anything better to do. F the money for a mechanic, these kids wont touch ea engines. Lol! I am willing to come to golden.

I have an ej22 I can sell you for cheap if the ea82t is too gutless for you and it's almost completely obsolete anyway. I did the ej22 swap on my 86 gl two years ago.

Edited by sparkyboy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Old fuel could be your issue. It certainly doesn’t help!

My RS turbo liberty is waiting for some work. It won’t start without starter fluid OR putting a wad load of fresh fuel in the tank and cycling the fuel pump to get the fresh fuel to the injectors. 

Cheers 

Bennie

The ignition system from rotor to plugs is brand new, and I have visible spark. Going to look into timing this weekend. Hopefully sparkyboy can help me out. I'm pretty well versed in ea81 but I am at a loss with these turbos and such. My daily is a Spfi ea81 that I converted, but timing that is far easier than this dual belt system, ive never even pulled the covers, so I have no frame of reference and don't want to make things worse. Gotta hit storage today and dig through my fsm set for my ea82 stuff