Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi everyone, I'm new to this form, don't really know how to do this, but I wanted some advice from possibly more experienced people. I'm temped to buy a car in my area, it's a 2006 Subaru TR with a rebuilt STI engine swap. I want to commit myself to a project car and I think this is a good opportunity to do it, but it would be long term and it would be one of my first project cars. It's 8750 dollars and I would need to take out a loan and potentially commit to paying 2-300 a month for 2-3 years, which I could shorten as I'm getting a second job soon. The engine has 90K miles on it and the body has 111K. It would be a big commitment and I'm not necessarily using this site to make a choice, I just want some tips and thoughts on this situation. 

Edit: I should add, the car has a lot of hail damage only on the body which is partly why it's so cheap. Also I'm not opposed to "flipping" the car and reselling it, in fact that may be a plan of mine in the future 

Edited by MaxKCool
Forgot the year

21 minutes ago, 1 Lucky Texan said:

details on car; mileage, year

you're in a good part of the country to take the car to a knowledgeable mechanic for a pre-purchase inspection. HIGHLY recommended - more-so with a used turbo.

Sorry yeah forgot to mention that it's an 06. I'd definitely have an inspection, just wondering if it's worth the inspection or if there's something I'm missing that makes it a no-go altogether

20 minutes ago, 1 Lucky Texan said:

seems expensive unless a LOT has been done. individual sale or off a car lot?

kinda wonder if someone at nasioc.com might recognize that car.

It's off a Lot. As far as I know all that's been done is the rebuilt STI engine's been swapped in. From what I hear the engines are the same except for the turbo? They have the wiring all swapped and set up as well. 

Not worth it. You can find an nice STI from a private party for around 10k. Maybe less. Turbo upgraded WRX's are everywhere. I build them weekly almost. The trans is weak and with hail damage.... pass. Find an STI because what you really want is the 6 speed. 

They didn't swap any wiring. There's no reason to. It's virtually the same. 

GD

• Like 1

Also, if you have to take out a bank loan and pick up a second job to afford the car, I would really suggest thinking about what is a priority in your life right now.  Having a neat project car that will need a lot of work soon, or financial independence with zero outstanding debt?

Not trying to come across as a jerk, just trying to impart some knowledge and experience to you.

Edited by carfreak85
  • Like 3

Honestly the 5 speed is junk, the hail damage really sucks to repair, and an "STI engine swap" is meaningless. 90k on it just means it's almost ready or already has failed ring lands. It will need a proper forged piston engine build, a 6 speed swap, and a whole bunch of body repair.

IMO that's worth about half what they are asking or less. 

GD

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, carfreak85 said:

Also, if you have to take out a bank loan and pick up a second job to afford the car, I would really suggest thinking about what is a priority in your life right now.  Having a neat project car that will need a lot of work soon, or financial independence with zero outstanding debt?

Not trying to come across as a jerk, just trying to impart some knowledge and experience to you.

You weren't being a jerk, but I'm not getting a job for the car and I'm taking a loan out on my next car anyway, don't misunderstand that I'm doing anything for the car, just explaining the money situation