Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi all - a friend has a 2008 outback (auto) - some time ago he had 2 new tyres put on the front and the old fronts put on the back (by the local tyre place who assured him that this would be fine:banghead: -- after I had told them that Subarus need 4 tyres the same brand and wear -- they looked at me as though I was stupid) - the tyres were a different make but same size - after this he noticed a vibration - I advised him to get 2 more new tyres of the same brand fitted (which he did) - (the tyre place - when asked why they did not know that Subarus need matched tyres said ---- we are not mechanics - we just fit tyres)- any rate - this solved the vibration issue - now some months later the vibration is back and he wants to sell the car - I reckon damage has been done to the transmission - personally I would not sell the car without mentioning the potential damage - and if it is damaged who should pay to get it repaired ?

2008 will have the FWD fuse holder.  Inside the under hood fuse box.  Labeled FWD in the diagram.  Install a fuse (or jumper wire) in that holder and the trans will be in FWD.  If vibration continues it's not the trans.

FWD function is for when spare tire "donut" is used.  Donut is only for use on rear. If flat tire is on front move good rear tire to front and put spare on back with FWD fuse(or jumper, not needed to be fused) installed.

I don't think I've seen AWD problems cause a vibration. Usually AWD failure, or binding.

When I read that post, it sounds to me like it was driven with mismatched tires for a fairly short time. And if they were the same size, just a different brand, I would say it's probably fine.

I would rotate the tires front-to-back, and see if the vibration changes (going from feeling it in your butt to your hands/steering wheel, or vice versa). Vibration is most commonly just tires out of balance. Otherwise it would be helpful to know when the vibration occurs (accelerating, braking, certain speed, does it change with engine speed or vehicle speed, etc.) as there are a host of other things that can cause a vibration.

• Like 1