Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Swap 4-headights for 2 on 83 Brat

I need help. Got a perfect Cyclops third eye working and the original grille is designed for a two-headlight setup on Subaru Brat. 

I need to change out four headlights on my 1983 Brat GL for two, see attached photo. 

I am looking to purchase two front headlight bezels and the lights, thanks! 

1550422203312_1982-Subaru-BRAT-Front.jpg

Swapping from quads to duals is not a bolt in swap. You need to either swap front clips or figure a way to relocate the headlight brackets. 

I tried to swap from duals to quads in my brat by relocating the headlight bracket. I could not make it work since the bracket was moved too far inward and there was no sheet metal to weld to. if that makes sense.

But since you’re doing the opposite of what I was trying you might be able to get away with the bracket relocation. Drill out the spot welds on both brackets, move them further outwards and weld them back.

2 hours ago, alexbuoy said:

Swapping from quads to duals is not a bolt in swap. You need to either swap front clips or figure a way to relocate the headlight brackets. 

I tried to swap from duals to quads in my brat by relocating the headlight bracket. I could not make it work since the bracket was moved too far inward and there was no sheet metal to weld to. if that makes sense.

But since you’re doing the opposite of what I was trying you might be able to get away with the bracket relocation. Drill out the spot welds on both brackets, move them further outwards and weld them back.

Yes but I still need the lights and the right bezels, can you help? The curved edges of the cyclops grille I have need to match up with shape of the headlight bezels. Thanks for your help! 

Note that you've shown an 82 BRAT. They have chrome headlight surrounds, an 83 will have black (and the honeycomb grille). They interchange easily enough, and I don't know if you'll really care about the difference. Be careful you don't have an 81 grille, as they use different buckets again (I've seen more 81's with Cyclops lights than 82s). Try posting in the wanted section...

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dfoyl said:

Note that you've shown an 82 BRAT. They have chrome headlight surrounds, an 83 will have black (and the honeycomb grille). They interchange easily enough, and I don't know if you'll really care about the difference. Be careful you don't have an 81 grille, as they use different buckets again (I've seen more 81's with Cyclops lights than 82s). Try posting in the wanted section...

Thanks for your help! The whole point of this is to mount the correct two headlight setup on my 83 Brat GL so that this cyclops grille will match up. So how do I determine if my grille is for the earlier or later headlight buckets? I can post the outside measurement and post more detailed photos of the curve style at the outside edges. 

4 minutes ago, carfreak85 said:

If the grill is for a center lamp, it is for the earlier, two-lamp arrangement.  83+ got the quad lamps, unless it was a DL or STD model.

Yes that's why I'm trying to find the right lamps and bezels to change from four hl to two hl. Looking to buy those! Thanks!