Ultimate Subaru Message Board

4X140 to 4X100 Wheel Adapters

Oh man, using a different 4 lug pattern besides 4 x 140 is Subaru blasphemy! So naturally I never tried them.

Personally, I would find chevy six lug wheels and drill them to fit, they look good. post-61859-0-68324000-1519174873_thumb.jpg

I have tried those, they were 15" on my 86gl with 2" lift...she rides trucky! I sold em cause the 13s are better imo.

Alternatively, you can still the hubs to accept a toyota six lug pattern, there is a write up on this forum about that.

But to answer your question, those adapters are a cheap, dirty way to go if you have a set of 4x100 wheels that you like already, but account for the change in wheel placement on the car, (offset?) that those will cause, and it will stress your suspension that much more, so those adapters should not be part of a beast off road build, but if it's something just for shows or your racing slicks, get back to us on your experience! 

The  adapters cost $160...you can five lug swap with junkyard pieces for that!

If you are considering going this route just to expand your wheel choices, i would go five lug swap. If you happen to have a 4x140 setup with rear disk brakes, don't change that, that's the old school cool right there!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sparkyboy said:

Oh man, using a different 4 lug pattern besides 4 x 140 is Subaru blasphemy! So naturally I never tried them.

Personally, I would find chevy six lug wheels and drill them to fit, they look good. post-61859-0-68324000-1519174873_thumb.jpg

I have tried those, they were 15" on my 86gl with 2" lift...she rides trucky! I sold em cause the 13s are better imo.

Alternatively, you can still the hubs to accept a toyota six lug pattern, there is a write up on this forum about that.

But to answer your question, those adapters are a cheap, dirty way to go if you have a set of 4x100 wheels that you like already, but account for the change in wheel placement on the car, (offset?) that those will cause, and it will stress your suspension that much more, so those adapters should not be part of a beast off road build, but if it's something just for shows or your racing slicks, get back to us on your experience! 

The  adapters cost $160...you can five lug swap with junkyard pieces for that!

If you are considering going this route just to expand your wheel choices, i would go five lug swap. If you happen to have a 4x140 setup with rear disk brakes, don't change that, that's the old school cool right there!

Thanks for the info. I don't mind the 4x140 wheels they just look really small after lifting and there's not alot of tires avalible. Would there be any real reason to keep them?  Knowing this I'll probably stay away from the adapters. The hub redrilling is a little more involved than I would like so I think I'll try to re drill the 6 lug rims. And tips on what shape/type of rim is best for this? 

@Nowah9

I said the same thing! They look tiny but I personally love the factory 8 spokes. My 2" lift eats passenger side axles, and i have been meaning to remove it, I just do camping style off roading, and wannabe rally cross, not beast creeping style like a lot of these guys! Shame my 4lo sees little action...

The only reason to keep a set of 13s are if you like them. We have to consider the rarity of our lug pattern however, so i keep them around at least.

The chevy wheels are very common around here, and were at least, the house brand of wheels at discount tires for around 80 each new. I see them almost every time at the junkyard, but that pattern is for 80s 3/4 ton And some one ton (not dually those are 8 lug) so they won't be so common forever. If you are lucky you will find a vintage American racing set, those are the originals iirc. On CL for $15 each, no junkyard crawling! Dust off the drill press! People often give em away, they come on a lot of trailers too.

I have hankook snow tires for 13s and I like them better than 15". Those 15s were a bit squirrelly on the street, lots of bumpsteer and probably contributed to a broken axle. No rubbing though! And far to big to execute a proper Scandinavian flick in 4wd, unless going unreasonably fast, haha! But the safety thing you mention, if you drive fast on the street, avoid truck wheels.

764597917_samsungshit241.thumb.jpg.3e1d2cf4a92ee5bf0bae4ae10a7c5897.jpg

Having the trim rings and hubcaps are key, but these are my fave on the L body. 

There IS someone making custom 4x140 wheels in Colorado. Massive coin, but this dude with an 86 rx has 16s! 

Edited by sparkyboy