Ultimate Subaru Message Board

XT coupe air struts.

Giles

@carfreak85

Oh i have plenty of cars that ride nicely! The factory gl ride height is perfect. I have a 2" lift on one, and factory on the other and i prefer factory. 

And thanks for all the L body lowering tips, the only experience I have lowering something is my camaro, and the 2" drop leaves the lower a arm parallel to the ground which is ideal for that car. Any more spring drop and you need to get drop spindles.

The lowering springs are made by Detroit speed and engineering...

I'll start with an inch all around and see what's up, I have seen mixed reviews on the rear strut hat flip trick on the xt...i gotta go get her and a big toolbox from my parents so i can back up all my big talk.

I just feel this uncontrollable urge to ej swap this thing, keep the single range and 4x140s and basically have a go kart with a huge sunroof!:P

Cheers boys, I'll do her right when i can afford, or this independent subaru/bmw shop I know of wants to sponsor me, my buddy got some of his brz suspension and used slicks as finders fees for a toyota/Subaru tuning shop, he just had to supply the wheels.

A lot of business is drummed up at car shows and part of the deal was to pass business cards out...they do machine work too!

I know you lurk without signing in, Jim...I would love to tell everyone how awesome p*****n tuning is, in boulder, co home of the rich wrx boy racer...I know you are turboing  Justin's pile too, I did the trans on that car last year! And woody...i seen the Acura bro, kudos! i got a proper set of street tires for my swapped gl, remember her? Bloodbath on diagonal but that's straight line, so lemme take the lift off if you wanna do Morrison to evergreen or Estes to loveland...unmarked cops in the canyon...

but I'll dirty swap my xt from my gl and at the airport autocross I'll take her out on whatever suspension she has.

:D good times, how lucky we are to have such nonsense toys and behave like kids playing real life video games? 

I just need that lsd in my life, and whadda youse fellas know about the front lsds?

Edited by sparkyboy

• 2 weeks later...

Good afternoon guys and gals.
Thanks for all the help, but I need your help again.

I’m not sure if I need to start a new thread...

Anyway...
My car a non runner. I had it brought home  on a trailer.
So I’ve never driven it.... yet!
I’m restoring it...
Anyway. 
It’s 1986 xt turbo.. with an auto box. 
I’ve read online that the auto box is only a 3 speed ( 3EAT) with a final drive of 1:1 very high for a top gear, high revs for ( motorway) highway use?
I’m shocked and genuinely disappointed ( I really am!) that such a modern car in its day, only has a 3 speed box.
Am I wrong about the ratio, does it have some kind of overdrive?
Plus. I see from 1988 ish  a 4 speed auto box was used ( 4EAT)If I can get one can I replace and bolt this on? 
What other cars used this same 4 speed auto?
What about going manual, 5 speed, what will I need?
Any advice or recommendations 
Thanks 
Giles.

In a stormy Wales. Uk 

You're probably better off EJ swapping it.  get a wrecked car and swap it. 

The 4EAT trans from later XT's or XT6's (88-91's) will bolt up and bolt in just fine but you won't have any computer to control it and a massive wiring nightmare ahead of you.  and a driveshaft and matching rear diff if the final drive ratios are different. 

Manual swap requires trans, pedal assembly, driveshaft, shiter linkages, diff lock controllers or PT4WD gear depending which version you get, interior console to trim it out right around the stick, etc, and instrument cluster for aesthetics (but it'll run just fine with the automatic...actually it will run fine without any intstrument cluster at all).   And matching rear diff is the gear ratio is different. 

You can use either non-turbo or turbo transmissions but if you use a non-turbo youll also need different front axles. 

I think I should keep the 3 speed box..

alternaltives sound like a nightmare!!

it is surprisingly tho that such a modern designed car has a 3 speed auto box. 

What gear boxes are you guys using?

whats the engine rpm at 60 and 70 mph?

Am I worried about nothing?

cheers 

G.

Edited by Giles
Forgot to say something

When these were new, 3 speed auto was the common transmission.   4 speed autos were pretty unusual. 

I don't know turbo XTs well enough  to be sure, but my 88 -93 4WD wagons turn 4000 RPM at 65 mph on the highway.  All day, not a problem.  Ea82 non turbo, 3 speed automatic.  The EA82 engines were made to spin fast, not lug.

what Dave said - just drive it and see how it does. i wouldn't needlessly borrow problems from the future - they were mass produced for the US market, daily driven for a decade or more and people still drive them, it's not the end of the world. Although - now is the time to move on if you're not a little forgiving on a 30 year old vehicle. You'll have that, and more, to contend with restoring a rare 30 year old Subaru. 

if maintained and understood properly i've known well seasoned Subaru guys that say the 3AT's plenty reliable.  they're =unfamiliar today so very few people know anything about them. 

Evening all.

ive got my head round my earlier disappointment ( auto box) and am back in love!

And am looking forward to getting the car on Tuesday so I can get cracking on it.

Im like a child near Christmas, excited!

Ive been to my local Subaru dealer with a list of ( dream) parts and amazingly they said most of it is available.. ( to order) even a front wing and front strut.. tho struts are £500 each! ($660 plus 20% tax!)

Are they crazy wrong.. or is there a glimmer of hope..?

Front wing only $100.

Plus.. on eBay in Uk is a scrapper xt and available, is all the manual drivetrain.. 

im intrested in getting the complete drivetrain as an ‘Incase ‘ scenario!

Tho with only 63 k miles on the clock I think my auto box should be in good shape? Any known weak spots? As I think it would be very complex for me to repair internally!

Im a pretty component diyer if I decide to change drivetrains.

I read Idosubaru message above, about what is required from donor car  and I understand all, but what is ‘diff lock controller’ or PT4WD gear.

thanks guys..

I owe you all a beer!

Giles.

ps. what fluids and oils you guys recommend? Engine and auto trans fluid?

50 minutes ago, Giles said:

I read Idosubaru message above, about what is required from donor car  and I understand all, but what is ‘diff lock controller’ or PT4WD gear.

This is all going to sound more confusing that it is if you haven't looked at one, so we might be ahead of ourselves.  Get the FSM and look at pic's.  it's available free online. 

Basically it just comes down to:
1. getting the entire center console, buttons, and shifter assembly.
2. make sure the transmission has the actuator assembly on the transmission - large disc shaped part with vacuum hoses.  most transmissions should just come with it, so it should look like it's part of the trans and come with it. 
3. get all the associated wiring, vacuum tubes for the 4WD actuator mentioned above, and the switching solenoid in the engine bay associated with those vacuum tubes. 

There are two different manual transmissions for XT's, often referred to as FT4WD (which is the referenced 'diff lock controller') and PT4WD.

PT4WD is FWD and you push the button in the stick shift for 4WD.  The button is in the stick shift, so you'd want a PT4WD shifter and linkages/wiring.  I think in the US this is 1985 and 1986 XT's. 

FT4WD is 4WD all the time but has a locking center differential button which is in the center console. 

If you get the entire center console assembly you'll have all that stuff. 
Then you just need to pull all the wiring/hoses/solenoid for the 4WD mechanism on the transmission.

And make sure you ask about wiring - I'm not sure what wiring you'll incur.  You'll need to wire in a reverse light switch for sure and the ECU's are not transmission dependent so that doesn't matter and the main harness i think doesn't matter but you'll want to read/search more or ask someone more familiar with swapping and wiring than me. 

Wow @Giles! Good work tracking down hard to find parts!

Oh come on, can anyone really fall out of love with the xt?

Auto box is no biggie, that's how Pleiades made her! Just don't break it!

Correct me if i am wrong here boys, but won't any ea82 five speed swap right over? Us American sube geeks refer to them as simply the single range or push button, and dual range.

With cable clutches and the same bellhousing, I would assume that the xt is one of the easier Manny swaps, I think finding the factory shifter would be the biggest challenge.

I thought as long as the gear ratios match for the trans and rear diff (3.9 I believe on the push button trans?) everything would work nicely...the solenoid and all the other nonsense can be worked out later...

Anyway, if i ever see an xt in the junkyard, all you'll see is a Tasmanian devil style whilwind, then a stripped xt. You fellas got dibs on parts!

The xt is really an odd duck, no dual range 4wd, or rear post for the turbo model? Wtf!

Edited by sparkyboy

Evening all.

Just a couple of days to go before I take delivery of my 1986 XT.

excited.com!

I’ve been clearing out my garage and painting the floor (white!)

Not many spiders I’m pleased to report.

Moved my 1971 Alfa Romeo to my brothers garage as no space, thanks brawd! 

( welsh for brother)

The XT has failed its MOT, the UK annual roadworthy test. It failed on rust on the subframe attachment.

No worries I can sort that.

I’d love you guys to chime in with your recommendations.

My list of work to complete is as follows.

First thing I’m going to do is pressure wash the whole car and engine bay.

This will be the most modern car I’ve worked on ( with electronics too!) so what should I cover under the bonnet ( hood) not to get wet?

I’m going to fully service the engine.

Change the water pump,  cambelts and tensioners.( only 63k miles on engine)

What about oil pump?

new Turbo?

New Stainless steel exhaust, none cat in Uk.

I’ll remove  all rust with phosphoric acid from engine bay then epoxy prime and topcoat engine bay.

I’ll detail the engine bay and replate all bolts, pates and fixings.

With the Auto transmission, I’ll only flush and replace fluid with redline.

Obviously I’ll address any mechanical problems too.. any weak spots?

I’ll remove the front wings and repair rust 

Remove all suspension, rebush with poly, renew ball joints and tie rod ends

I’ll paint ( epoxy) and rebuild.

The air suspension is all working and for now I’ll leave alone and just paint metal parts. 

Though at a later date I will replace all air struts with an aftermarket system.

With all the suspension removed, I’ll cut out any rust and weld in new metal to the car structure.

Box section rot will be removed.

Sills ( rockers?) repaired and I’ll make new rear wheel arches.

Both my brothers are sheet metal engineers, I’m sure I’ll be calling on them.

I’ll end up painting most of the underside and wheel arches too

I’ll rebuild all suspension

I’ll rebuild or renew brake callipers, flexi pipes and any other brake items that need attention

I’ll prepare all bodywork. 

Weld. Fill, sand, epoxy prime, base coat and clear.

I’ll then flat and polish to mirror finish.

I fancy painting it 659, blue and silver.

I’ve goto repair and paint wheel trims too

Deep clean interior. 

Interior is in excellent condition.

I’ll have made some top quality mats with Subaru logo on them.

I need to repair drivers side bolster on seat base

I’ll change speakers and instal Bluetooth. Keeping original headunit.

Only clock is not working...:-(

I want to install an alarm, with module for remote central locking and total closure.

A nice modern touch I’ve added to my Alfa and makes car so much easier to use.

Then I hope to MOT it and enjoy!!

If in future, if get the manual gearbox and rear diff. I may dump the auto box.

Plus replace old air struts with new custom system which I’ll build myself.

What you guys think?

And further things I need to do?

There will be a thousand extra small jobs to do I know!

Jump in please!

Can I post pics?

Anyone want to see?

(Btw. Should I be donating here?)

Cheers

Giles!

I’ll be doing all work myself including spraying car.

I’ve done all before.. but never seen inside an auto box or rear diff.. lets see how confident I am, Incase they need repairs..

Keeps costs way down to!

G.

( not sure why my font is so large?)

Edited by Giles
Information

Oil pump will be fine! That’s apparently a NLA item so if it’s good I wouldn’t be binning it - collect them!

Turbo might need a service if there’s any oil varnish on the bushes (bearings) due to sitting for an excessive amount of time without a start up. It might be just fine too. 

Giles, I thought you’d worked on the modern stuff too. I didn’t realise an ‘85 XT would be your most modern vehicle you’ve worked on!

Sounds like a huge project, I’m looking forward to build pics etc!

As for engine bay clean, just avoid hitting electrical connections with high pressure. It also pays to clean them out with some wd40 after you’ve done with wash work. 

Cheers 

Bennie

1 hour ago, Giles said:

Morning guys.

my car has arrived.

how can upload pics.

only 2 mbs allowed?!

im not great with this sort of thing..

should i start a new forum?

g.

Third party hosting site is the way to go ;) 

You stoked with it? 

Cheers 

Bennie

9 hours ago, Giles said:

Morning guys.

my car has arrived.

how can upload pics.

only 2 mbs allowed?!

Oh man I'm on pins and needles to see! You must be thrilled!

One trick to post pics here that works well for me is if you are on Facebook to take your large image and post it there, even just to yourself. Then save that image to your or computer and the file will be resized much smaller.

Then just choose files to attach at the bottom of a new reply.

Cheers mate, get out your 12, 14, and 17mm wrenches and sockets!

• Thanks 1

I’ll fully repair and paint subframe 

I want to rebush the entire back end.

any kits available stateside?

new discs ( rotors) the callipers are new I think, still have plating  on them.

should I put in new driveshafts..?

new bearings ?

what oil in rear diff?

Edited by Giles

Wow @Giles !!!

She is a true beauty! That is one of the cleanest xts I have seen as far as starting a resto project...i am drooling at that rhd model!!!

No digidash?!? Bro! Don't worry dude you will find one.

But you have the ALWAYS missing front square emblem!! That is one thing that can't be found. I'm jealous.

Do you have the rear spoiler and luggage pieces? I have the luggage pieces somewhere that I don't think I'll be reinstalling...lemme know if you want or need them, I'm not coming off that spoiler tho!

Anyway I'll cut you a deal, mate. Since my xt is also the factory light blue if I can restore mine as nice as yours, how about we take our xts (with our hot turbo ej engines, front posis, and low settings on our coilovers) to Japan for an epic road trip...we'll have our boys send our ea82t engines and air suspension to Japan in crates so we can win best of show there, and all the autocross events on the way.

We'll roshambeau for it if a disagreement comes up, but i want to display my ej on a stand and the ea82t in the engine bay, but the other should be vice versa. 

Then when it's time to go home I'll take the rhd back to CO and you take the lhd one back to Wales...

Five years time? We can start the documentary now.

Bushings for the gl should work, right? They're the same suspension basically. 

And standard 80 or 85 weight gear oil is what I use in the rear. No problems for me in that regard. 

Edited by sparkyboy

Holy Cow Giles - Looks MINT.... until you showed us under her dress!  I'm so glad we don't have salt on our roads over here!!

All the best with the resto, it looks like it'll be a long haul.  I do love that colour though!

Drop a link in here to the build thread when you get one started!

Cheers 

Bennie

@Giles

That rust is quite minimal. The holes are tiny, I think that cover is one little flaw in a real life video game alien car. The xt has only two flares in the front and is still beautiful! Lol

I just reread this thread and realized that you might not have seen my xt my friend!

Her name is ghost, have you named yours?

1972635453_shit2006.jpg.2e690b7f01fa0fa3f9376c4af2ce9d36.jpg

1015426255_shit2007.thumb.jpg.7de27710364729e008f7694584d2ee27.jpg

1683591174_shit2029.thumb.jpg.cd1892254f9f472a60d7c04ac2638b04.jpg

1211969003_shit2031.thumb.jpg.e3ca30656232684735edb7e2064ff47f.jpg

1543547326_shit2008.thumb.jpg.d55a08828928083e01a53a35682c56db.jpg