Ultimate Subaru Message Board

XT coupe air struts.

Giles

Morning guys.

lovely day here on the coast of Wales.

today, I need to add metal to my rusty sills ( rockers) and rebuild rear suspension attachments.

my welding skills are improving 

i hope not to burn myself to much today #upsidedownwelding

i have to weld these pieces in ( see pics)

ive cut out all rust, removed surface rust with acid. 

Today I will start to tack the metal in place and fabricate other pieces.

its quite a lot of work to shape and bend the metal. Plus not losing any  lines or dimensions.

ive already done the other side.

so this is less daunting. 

After ive repaired this section the rear underside is fully repaired. Behind the cabin floor pan.

i will epoxy prime, base coat in correct 572 space metallic blue and 2k clear.

(my car was originally painted 518, blue and white, i’ll respray whole car original colour in future.)

i can think about reattaching  the rear refurbished suspension and brakes to the car.

i still have the rear wheel arches to do too...

C7045DB6-3717-4248-B802-8C7B505BF850.jpeg

D9D5FE25-9E15-4536-BF2B-D5147CBEF370.jpeg

E045D04B-D8A3-4D79-A73D-2AC367C26080.jpeg

6D8FCD4E-D501-4254-AB66-B63F32EADEBD.jpeg

Edited by Giles
  • Like 2

Afternoon  boys ( any girls here?)

I’ve got some before and after pics for you 

we all love them.

dont expect miracles it’s a long process 

The bottom pic is of my most prized possessions... one of 2 brand new (old stock) front air struts..

imported from USA!

anyone got a pair of rears they want to sell?

78F4A5DF-0D62-4F61-AA40-9D5D10F52BC0.jpeg

F94EB5B8-0AB1-4614-9672-9ABB45CD96FE.jpeg

81372C68-A3EF-4ED4-874F-B375A8547975.jpeg

03077F29-8710-4953-81B6-64EC016F3F03.jpeg

D6961BE9-E09E-470C-964F-185BCC12E3C6.jpeg

EB21CE3E-D29B-48C1-BC34-348D7A83B192.jpeg

F84BC75C-2ED5-46A5-AF26-7C6F17841138.jpeg

B630ACD8-DE24-4D45-8725-1DC8F1630D86.jpeg

Hell to the yea-uh!

We are just mere men incapable of performing actual miracles, but I think your xt will be to differ! I know she is feeling the love. But patience and persistence pays off!! Excellent!

Those struts are gorgeous man you must be stoked!

There are a handful of old school sube chicks here (do you guys across the pond still call them birds?) Have a look at the members rides subforum at your leisure.

Here in the US there is sort of a feminist uprising (again, everything has its cycles no pun inteded lol) so calling someone a chick might get you smacked or start a cat fight haha! I like the term "broad" I need to look up the origin of that particular slang.

Anyway Giles my friend your quest for parts is a long and hard one that you seem to be traveling along quite well. Any luck on the stereo equipment?  I used to install stereos professionally I'll show you my setup my xt sounds lovely.

To answer your question about my factory air conditioning on my xt, yes she is equipped, but not cold I think it simply needs a recharging. I'll probably be going a.c. (and power steering) delete once the ej22 swap starts!

I started digging into the engine and found that the turbo seals are failing and letting oil into the engine under boost. 2 fouled plugs on pass (rh) side, so I'm the process of removing the probably factory vf4 in favor of a vf11 I have from a first gen legacy. Same except for a larger turbine housing, so the boost should hit earlier which would make her even more fun to drive! Who wraps these up to 7500 rpm anyway? It's fun, but that's why they are all broken!

I need to get my sorry self to the junkyard, the 05+ turbo cars are finally starting to crap out on people enough to scrap them, and you know ya boy is there with a wrench!

Pics to follow, it's a lovely day for wrenching here!

Evening guys.

Bennie, I’m not sure what you mean by dash trim... 

Can I see a pic please?

some of my air vents are missing blades.. is this what you mean?

Sparkyboy...

id love to see your audio set up... can I see some pics please .

what headunit and speakers? 2 or 4  speakers?

yes, I am getting through the parts list. I’m constantly trawling eBay.

did you say there are a couple or scrapers near you?

why you changing the engine ej22?

this a trick I not know about....

G.

@Giles - I’m not the one organising it but I think JohnnyT is talking about the trim piece around the instrument cluster - the one that breaks very easily if not handled with extreme care. 

As for the EJ22 conversion - this conversion has the equivalent power output as the peak of the EA82 turbo.  It’s got better torque and earlier in the rev range. Plus it’s uber reliable compared to the NA EA82 let alone the turbo variant! 

Cheers 

Bennie

Morning boys.

just seen this on eBay.

i can’t see why it wouldn’t fit my car?

all same im guessing from

that time..

looks identical 

i have 2 new left already and was going to modify one for right side.. 

but one of these would be perfect.

take a look please.

ebay item nos 183790734968

your thoughts?

G.

Edited by Giles

Man, the price is right! That will surely save you some work! And yea I am hoping to meet this guy at cars and coffee this Saturday who has two xts he has been keeping for parts, to keep his going. Unfortunately he didn't bring his xt to the show last month seeing two in the same place? Dang! But I have his business card so if he doesn't go I'll give him a call! 

I got those pics for ya Giles, just need to upload realm quick 

On Tuesday, May 28, 2019 at 3:34 PM, Giles said:

why you changing the engine ej22?

this a trick I not know about....

G.

Giles my friend, you have just joined the old school subaru big leagues. I remember when I discovered the ej swap. I had to do it despite not knowing a thing about efi.

The ej engine was the successor to the ea engines. I believe gm owned 30% of fuji at the time, and developed the engine with them in the mid 80s for the impreza in 88, that car got the ej18. The number indicates size. The ej22 is the most common, that engine was in the first gen legacy. 

The ej22 is rated at 135 hp and is superior to the ea in every way I can think of. Single timing belt, a decent sized coolant cross over (the ea 82t Achilles heel) igniter and coil instead of disty...

The best part is that they built piles of them and they quite literally drop right the hell in to an 80s body, the motor mounts line up and all! Just need an adapter plate to keep your current transfer or transfer internals into a legacy case @el_freddo you have done this?

The ej engine is your best bet to drive an L body well into the future!

Giles you've inspired me to get off my arse and go finally grab my swapped 86 gl from my parents place. I'm gonna clean her up and take her to cars and coffee on Saturday, and hopefully have a look at those two parts xts. Then what I refer to as a "dirty" swap or hot swap where the engine is put into another car with wiring harness without any other care (of course a power washing is in order) it originated from a desperate friend who cracked the head on his x5 (e53 =JUNK) we went to the junkyard and found the best engine that turned and slapped her in (I use the term loosely, ejs slap in. this was a bittch) good so far! Lol

I'll take a few good pics for ya 

@sparkyboy - you’re correct. I originally had the EA82 AWD gearbox internals in the front cases of the liberty/legacy gearbox. And I got to keep my low range :D 

I’ve now got a real “hybrid box” - SG Foz gearset and front cases, L series AWD centre diff and its matching rear housing, L series 1.59:1 low range and 4.111:1 diff ratio. Goes very well both on and offroad!

@Giles, with your time on Ausubaru back in the day I’m surprised you don’t know about this conversion! The best in the L series. 

@sparkyboy (again) - you guys got the impreza in ‘88?? We didn’t get the impreza until ‘93 I think. The Gen1 Liberty/Legacy series1 came out in ‘89 over here! 

Ruby Scoo is an ‘88 model... with an EJ since 2009 from memory - it’s still going strong! 

Cheers 

Bennie

7 hours ago, sparkyboy said:

...I believe gm owned 30% of fuji at the time, and developed the engine with them in the mid 80s...

The only thing GM developed while owning a share of Subaru was a Chevy badge for Foresters in Asian markets, and Saab badges and cosmetic parts for the 9-2x.

GM contributed jack-squat to developing any component of any Subaru.

evening boys.

i had a disaster today.

i managed to cut through an air suspension pipe with my cutting disc.

i know it’s not the end of the world, but I’d appreciate any advice about splicing the pipe back together.

i think it’s about 4mm OD.

thanks in advance.

Giles.

• 3 weeks later...

Afternoon guys.

hope your all well.

here are some pics of progress to date.

ive finished welding underneath (rear)

ive cut out the rear wheel arches and some inner arch too.

i had to use the rubber wind deflectors as my template to remake wheel arches

As rust has eaten the metal away behind them! 

i very happy with the results 

ill have them welded up next week and hope to weld in place next week.

finally the rear bodywork is nearing an end.

Edited by Giles
  • Thanks 1

Very nice.

Still looking for rear air struts?  I've got several sets. I'm sure a few of them work or at least could be serviced.  I'd send you them all!

Shipping to UK could be alot though.

Got your lines mostly removed from parts car.  Just gotta detach the actual rear struts and pull them through the car.

Hi Dan ( can I use real names!)

im still after the elusive new old stock rears.. as I have for for the fronts 

so I’ll keep hunting.

the ones on my car as serviceable for now.

but I will get used as spares in future if I can’t find new. I’ve had several offers... thanks guys.

any of you know if I can get custom made rears to work  of original set up.

i don’t know how the air struts work yet.. I know it’s just compressed air... not rocket science.

each rear has a solenoid with electric conection:  to open the air ‘in’ valve I assume.

how do they exhaust air?

what are the 2 cables going inside the unit for?

thanks for the air lines Dan.

Thanks guys!

Edited by Giles

2 hours ago, Giles said:

Hi Dan ( can I use real names!)

im still after the elusive new old stock rears.. as I have for for the fronts 

so I’ll keep hunting.

the ones on my car as serviceable for now.

but I will get used as spares in future if I can’t find new. I’ve had several offers... thanks guys.

any of you know if I can get custom made rears to work  of original set up.

i don’t know how the air struts work yet.. I know it’s just compressed air... not rocket science.

each rear has a solenoid with electric conection:  to open the air ‘in’ valve I assume.

how do they exhaust air?

what are the 2 cables going inside the unit for?

thanks for the air lines Dan.

Thanks guys!

The struts have Hi and Low switches at each end of the travel.  That makes signal that the Air Suspension computer uses to control pressure at each wheel.

Air is vented through the solenoid attached to the side. 

Do you have an FSM for the car?  

I may be able to hook you up with one of mine, or at least scan and E-mail the relevant Air suspension pages.

• Thanks 1

As I say.

i have no idea yet as to the working of the air struts.

what you say makes perfect sense, regarding hi and low internal switch.

i don’t have a FSM for the car.

would love the pages on Air suspension emailed sometime.

g.

17 hours ago, FerGloyale said:

Very nice.

^ understatement! 

@Giles, that replacement piece you’ve made is NEAT! I don’t think there would be many over here that would go to this effort in their backyard/shed/driveway etc. 

keep up the good work! 

Cheers 

Bennie

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...