Ultimate Subaru Message Board

XT coupe air struts.

Giles

Give Photobucket none of your monies. They held thousands of enthusiasts hostage for their own picture files across many websites.

These days its about paying for a photo hosting site if you want to share your stuff.

Flickr, imgur, imageshack, etc. Search & find one you like, or one that is popular here at USMB.

You don't need to store the pics here. Mine has been full for years and you can't empty it.

Here is my method: Post your pics anywhere you are comfortable, another forum perhaps, I tend to use facebook because  you can post it to yourself but the point of this is to open the pic in a seperate window and copy the url then istead of "choose files" to insert the pics ypu want use "insert other media" and paste the url.

Yea screw hosting sites like photobucket they really did hold peoples pics hostage. Don't give them a single pound!

@Giles how's the resto been?  

Hey guys,

Working on my first xt6......the car still has the original air suspension....but lord knows where the compressor is and idk what else is missing....its my first time dealing with air suspensions and i need urgent help .......what is the cheapest way to get my ride comfortably enough to drive? Do i swap to coil overs? Do i fit a new air system? Or can i fit other  regular struts?

Someone please help!!!

IMG-20190510-WA0051.jpg

IMG-20190510-WA0053.jpg

Evening guys.

all going very well with my XT.

ive still not worked out how to post pics yet. I’ll sort it tho.

rear end almost finished.

one scratch made, wheel arch  left to weld on.

ive painted the underside from the cabin floor back.

its looking amazing.

i used epoxy primer over 100% clean steel . No rust left at all.

them I used the original colour 518 basecoat and sprayed 2K Clear

the inner wheel arches I used epoxy primer and upol Raptor ( in 518) for stone chip protection.

ive started to reattach some of the components removed. But I need to make a new fuel pump bracket. I’ll make one in stainless steel 

my worldwide search for NEW rear air struts continues. But I’ve cleaned my old ones up to re use until I find new.

im really happy with the work so far.

just a shame I can’t post anymore pics at the moment.

once I’ve  reattached all the suspension I’ll move to the front.

i have a good front wing ( fender)  in its way from USA.

there is a lot less work on the front, but lots of rust where the front tie rods attach to the body.

I’ll strip all suspension  re bush and refurbish the brake callipers. I’ll use a pair on my new (old stock) air struts.. Yay!

Ill also galvanise / electroplate everything  I can, including the engine subframe.

sparkyboy, you were going to send me some pics of your interior.

you managed to take them yet?

what head unit you using?

karmasrenegade97 welcome to the thread.

welcome to the wonderful world of the XT

im a novice to.. but learning quickly.

The air suspension is the  Achilles  heal of these cars.  I assume yours is in working condition? If so .. leave well alone

your options for replacement are harsh.

as I’m finding out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Giles said:

Evening guys.

all going very well with my XT.

ive still not worked out how to post pics yet. I’ll sort it tho.

rear end almost finished.

one scratch made, wheel arch  left to weld on.

ive painted the underside from the cabin floor back.

its looking amazing.

i used epoxy primer over 100% clean steel . No rust left at all.

them I used the original colour 518 basecoat and sprayed 2K Clear

the inner wheel arches I used epoxy primer and upol Raptor ( in 518) for stone chip protection.

ive started to reattach some of the components removed. But I need to make a new fuel pump bracket. I’ll make one in stainless steel 

my worldwide search for NEW rear air struts continues. But I’ve cleaned my old ones up to re use until I find new.

im really happy with the work so far.

just a shame I can’t post anymore pics at the moment.

once I’ve  reattached all the suspension I’ll move to the front.

i have a good front wing ( fender)  in its way from USA.

there is a lot less work on the front, but lots of rust where the front tie rods attach to the body.

I’ll strip all suspension  re bush and refurbish the brake callipers. I’ll use a pair on my new (old stock) air struts.. Yay!

Ill also galvanise / electroplate everything  I can, including the engine subframe.

sparkyboy, you were going to send me some pics of your interior.

you managed to take them yet?

what head unit you using?

karmasrenegade97 welcome to the thread.

welcome to the wonderful world of the XT

im a novice to.. but learning quickly.

The air suspension is the  Achilles  heal of these cars.  I assume yours is in working condition? If so .. leave well alone

your options for replacement are harsh.

as I’m finding out.

Hey guys thanks for the replies....what i meant when i said that "i don't know where the compressor is"..... i meant that its not there....only the air tank and a bunch of electrical connectors......so I'm lost...i don't know where to begin....I'm not even sure if the air struts are still working!!!

Oh, my...

Maybe try hooking up a regular compressor,  just to air it up, and see if it works at all.  The struts / shocks etc are rare as can be, from what I've read.  Most people seem to end up installing conventional ones.  Even those might be getting hard to find.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DaveT said:

Oh, my...

Maybe try hooking up a regular compressor,  just to air it up, and see if it works at all.  The struts / shocks etc are rare as can be, from what I've read.  Most people seem to end up installing conventional ones.  Even those might be getting hard to find.

If i were to look at conventional one...where do i begin to look? like to keep as many options available you know.....have problems finding a radiator too, seems to me everything about this car is rare.

Yes, XTs are rare.  Even the "regular cars" of that time frame, which were related - the EA82 powered cars - a lot of parts are going No Longer Available.  Both OEM and aftermarket.

I don't know enough about XTs to be certain of which parts are interchangeable with the EA82 models I know well, although many are.

• Like 1

Suspension parts are interchanageble. If your XT is 4wd/AWD, you’ll want the rear struts from a 4wd L series sedan or wagon. Front struts are a direct swap over, as are the rear swing arms and “K” frame, and the front control arms and radius rods. 

The engine crossmember is turbo specific, but the NA unit can be swapped in and modified for the turbo up pipe. 

Cheers 

Bennie

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I should add that the rear end is different for 2wd vs 4wd too. The swnig arms have different setups for the bearings - 2wd has a fixed stub axle, 4wd has a rotating stub axle. The K frame has a tab for the rear diff’s front mount with 4wd, the 2wd frame does not ;) 

This mount can be welded in place and swing arms are interchangeable ;)

Cheers 

Bennie

• Like 1

As for the air compressor, you might find one in an early legacy that has air suspension, even if it has coil springs - many ppl don’t remove the compressor. 

And I believe it’s the same unit between the L and the Legacy, maybe with a different mounting plate. It’s in the same location too - front left guard ;) 

Thinking about it, your air system probably has leaks that lead to the air compressor burning out due to being overworked/worked too long too often.

Cheers

Bennie

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/9/2019 at 11:38 PM, el_freddo said:

Suspension parts are interchanageble. If your XT is 4wd/AWD, you’ll want the rear struts from a 4wd L series sedan or wagon. Front struts are a direct swap over, as are the rear swing arms and “K” frame, and the front control arms and radius rods. 

The engine crossmember is turbo specific, but the NA unit can be swapped in and modified for the turbo up pipe. 

Cheers 

Bennie

EA82 front struts will not work for an XT6.  on;y for a 4cyl XT.

He needs Legacy or Impreza struts.

Giles, Your air pipes are shipped.

I included a few solenoids for the front struts.

Anyhow, I didn't include my home made tool, but I took these pics of using it.  You can easily make one from the body of a "bic" pen.

Here's the 2 pieces of it.  1 about 1~2 cm max.  Sliced down the edge.  Other piece about 6 cm, also sliced down the edge.

48331102946_34fee1d63e_k.jpgIMG_0102 by Dans Subaru, on Flickr

Small piece fitted over the air line

48331099586_a2a7c36a2a_k.jpgIMG_0103 by Dans Subaru, on Flickr

Longer piece now slipped over the first, and pushed up under  the locking tabs.  Leave the smaller piece puled back a bit still so just the outer tube is under the tabs, all the way.

48331230967_e9e4ba8012_k.jpgIMG_0104 by Dans Subaru, on Flickr

Now use a small tool, (tip of my multitool here) and slide the small piece tight up under the first, pushing the tabs outward.  Hold pressure against the outer tube to keep the tool tight against the tabs.

48331229147_48ef6b9965_k.jpgIMG_0105 by Dans Subaru, on Flickr

Fingernail used to pull the one tab that lines up on the spit in the tool.

48331227342_610e399b5c_k.jpgIMG_0107 by Dans Subaru, on Flickr

And then pull the tool, and the line toghether to pop out of the fitting.

48331089306_cb84de1865_k.jpgIMG_0110 by Dans Subaru, on Flickr

Giles, hope this helps you and others.

anyone that needs an Air Compressor for these cars PM me I've got rebuildable ones for parts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow!

good morning Dan.

thank you very much for the pipes and solenoids.

i will make that tool too

i received an e-mail from my shipping company about an unexpected parcel!

its from you.

i owe you some money.

please tell me so I can send you some.

im delighted

I’ll see how my compressor is.. I appreciate your information about a contact. I’ll get back to you if needed.

tell me, how did you post pics?

i can work it out still. And I’ve use up my ‘free?’ Allowance.

g. 

• 1 month later...