Ultimate Subaru Message Board

XT coupe air struts.

Giles

On 4/19/2019 at 2:58 PM, Giles said:

every day I’m in the garage.

im loving it!

That's what it's about, my friend.

@el_freddo

I saw your rs liberty turbo on the picture thread before, she is absolutely gorgeous! Are you going to install one of those closed deck 2.2s? Are those the full time 4wd with diff lock?

Here in the states they are called the touring wagon and sport sedan (ss)

I have a soft spot for the first gen legacy - my very first subaru, rose was a 1992 legacy. She's no longer with us, but her ej22 is in my 86 gl now. I broke the trans so put her engine in my 86 gl. Yup, that's a jdm turn signal!

WP_20160327_018_zpswpb2sru3.jpg

I'll make you a deal man, get her that proper ej22t with stupid amounts of boost and you can have a piece of my wall art...You are the only dude I know with a hi roof 1st gen and I want you to have this if you like it, but I think your sube will truly be unique with the alpine sport grille. It's up to you to paint the silver part white however lol! I'll bring it to you personally, my dad gets heavily discount flights.

It's cool if you wanna keep her stock looking for sleeper status.

55576157_825392051127286_970073562721288

@Giles

Yes those pics are of my digidash! Almost everything works except the outside air temp. And the trip computer is messed up. Have you noticed how nicely a beverage fits in the console? A 12 oz bottle of beer or 16 oz bottle of soda fits all neatly! I've been slacking on my xt resto for my camaro, but have made progress on the body work, I caught that sunroof in the nick of time!

plus I am having far too much fun driving my xt! I just found out that my xt has the front posi!

Post a pic of your alfa romeo!

Edited by sparkyboy

@sparkyboy yeah all of our wagons are the “high roof” model, we don’t have any flat roof models!  

The Oz delivered RS turbo is an EJ20G with a water to air intercooler. The bonnet scoop is purely for air flow over the turbo, which really isn’t entirely necessary. We didn’t get the EJ22t. The EJ20G is the first of the EJ turbo engines with the DOHC heads, although the RS heads are a different design to the wrx heads... And the RS wagon ONLY came out in a 1993 model which makes it a series 2. The grille you’ve offered looks like our series 1 style which won’t fit without changing the bonnet and possibly the headlights (is need to double check this).  

Thanks for the offer but keep it on the wall as a good memory of your old ride! It’s good to hear the EJ was “re-homed”. 

@Giles - you been stuck in the shed mate?  We haven’t seen any updates recently, is it finished yet?? :P :lol: 

Cheers 

Bennie

• Like 1

@el_freddoOh wow I did not know that about the aussie wagons! Ok so we need to find out how to remove the roofs and trade haha!

Naturally I speak not of cutting your beautiful car, I'm saying we each buy a beater but driveable 1st gen and then head to our respective junkyards with sawzalls and cut the roofs off those!

Then I'll have a touring wagon clone and you will be the only aussie with the low roof :lol:

First lemme talk to my friend in the navy see if we can arrange some discount shipping haha! Ok I got time for some craigslusting lol!

And you are indeed correct the alpine sport grille is pre face lift

• Like 1

These pics are a couple of weeks old.

ive nearly finished the back structural work.

i hope to have the back suspension back on by the end of the month.

ideally with new air struts.. I already have most new bushes!

I’m scouring the world looking for new rear struts

the ones on the car are fine, but it’s only a matter of time...

then i’ll Start the rear wheel arches.

move onto the front then.

which is in much better condition 

i bought 3 new old stock front struts .

im delighted .

all left hand side. But I’ll modify for right. 

Plus a spare to future proof the car.

my welding is improving.. and my neighbours haven’t yet complained about the constant grinding!

most nuts and bolts and things I can strip down have been electroplated or galvanised 

its wet here in Wales!

I need mainly..

a pair of rear air struts (new)

a front right hand side wing ( fender)

i could repair the one I have.

and that’s about it really. 

CAN ANYONE HELP with above?

Rest I wanted I have , or is on its way.

See brand new door ! 

Mine is okay.. but I couldn’t leave it go. Only £150 too

There’s some awesome work in there Giles! 

Ive has trouble working out what some of the pics represent, like the square cut section, the new semi dome looking piece (I have no idea where that’s from), and what are the rail pieces with the galvanised bolts/plates/rear suspension frame? 

Keep up the good work! 

Cheers 

Bennie

Hi Bennie.

the square cut section is one of the air strut supports inside rear wheel arch.

the galvanised rail, is the rear bumper frame.

ive learned over the years..... rather than struggle with cleaning separate pieces.. send them away for acid dipping and plating. Still remarkably cheap to. 

The round metal is new stainless steel rear brake disc ( rotor) covers.

there is a pic of dismantled and cleaned rear brake callipers to.

G.

Know this is a bit old. But I have 2 front and two rear that we're put into a scratch back project so have not been used. Bought them knew early 2000's. Have a whole rear end out of the car with two more bags ..a few compressors kicking around. I've got stuff. And xt I really don't have much use for

78 Brat....

morning.

you have nearly new air struts?

rears..?

did I read this correctly?

you interested in selling them, if so?

id be very  grateful if you’d consider it.

where are you, Maine. New England?

G.

7E7F1568-5FF1-4E4B-AD3C-79080D3C4281.jpeg

10 hours ago, Giles said:

78 Brat....

morning.

you have nearly new air struts?

rears..?

did I read this correctly?

you interested in selling them, if so?

id be very  grateful if you’d consider it.

where are you, Maine. New England?

G.

7E7F1568-5FF1-4E4B-AD3C-79080D3C4281.jpeg

Yes, unless someone stole them out of the box. I'll dig a bit more. They have to be around here, Jesus I hope they are. Other then that I have a bunch of new used fronts and looks like 4 rears

15hd3l2_th.jpg

2v7x7nt_th.jpg

ay1tnk_th.jpg

24 minutes ago, 78 brat said:

Yeah I'm from Maine as well. I'm going to dig around today get list of what I have to offer you. 

I’m not in Maine ....

im not in USA..

im in UK!

You still interested?

G.

7 hours ago, Giles said:

I’m not in Maine ....

im not in USA..

im in UK!

You still interested?

G.

I would love to, I can go down tomorrow and check shipping and such. You have a cool piece in the works and would love to see it done. If I can help with that cool for me

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

^^

Hooray for this little tiny piece of the internet! Epic thread.

Not a lot of dudes spread the old school resto love like subaru dudes. I've seen camaro guys kick down subframes, transmissions and engines for free or a song after upgrading, but f bodies have such a huge aftermarket you can buy anything you need, interior included.

Oddly enough no-one reproduces factory seat tracks for second gen so hot item and big opportunity for whoever starts making them.

Yea Giles is gonna have one of the most cherry xts around judging by his work so far...I wouldn't be surprised to see a rotisserie soon! That ea82t is gonna shine like a jewel!

@Giles 

I have been thinking of trying my hand at fiberglass molds, you never answered my question about your xts factory wing! You do have yours right? I hope so, but if not I'll make you one if I can do a good job. I also have the original luggage support bars for the trunk if you would happen to need or want those. It looks like someone hit your indents down and filled in the holes on your trunk lid, including the wing holes. 

Also the chrome trim on the fenders and quarters? I am missing one! Every xt I have seen doesn't have them so maybe they are from a wagon which would be SWEEEEET! they look good but if the xt never came with them then you can beat the xt that Subaru restored with that little detail for best of show at the Japan classic car show, unless my US spec left hand drive xt can make it ;)

Does yours have a front posi? I had no idea mine had one when this thread started! Unfortunately the only way I know of how to test for those would be to burn out or perhaps engage the drive wheels while both are off the ground. When I turned the front wheels by hand it acted like an open diff?

Cheers boys, Subaru means unite in japanese.

• Like 1

Evening boys.

i agree this thread is a font of knowledge.

Sparkyboy are you asking me about my wing and chrome?

my car has no wing ( rear spoiler, we call them over here) I’d love one if your thinking of moulding them, an original copy.

There are no filled holes in my trunk (boot) lid. I don’t think they were fitted in the UK. I posted some pics ages ago, did you see then?

There is also no chrome on my car ( except inner door handles)

what chrome do you mean Sparkyboy?

This weekend I’m finishing welding rear right side subframe mount to body.

not easy welding underneath with little experience... my arms are burnt with molten metal drips...

do I really need a rotisserie .....

not yet....

i see the New Old stock front struts have sold out on eBay. I hope some guys here got lucky, they were a bargain.

btw.. I will change the oil in the lsd while the rear drive is still on my bench, what should use . I like redline 75w90ns. Should I pack more Grease into the UV joints. Tho I’m not sure I can peel back the rubber bellows

advice please boys....

btw. I’m after the double Din stereo fitted to later xt’s (xt6 to). With  a graphic equaliser.. anybody got one in great condition?

G.

Edited by Giles
  • Haha 1

Hmmm... graphic equaliser (say it in a Homer Simpson voice with some drool :P

@Giles - I'd be pulling all CV shafts down, cleaning, regreasing and putting quality new CV boots (“bellows” - cool name). 

Double check that you’ve got an LSD our the back, over here they were optional on the Vortex/XT4.  If so it’s also a good time to service the clutch packs that will most likely be worn out. I’ve read that some sort of Nissan clutch packs fit in since the r160 is essentially the same diff. 

Cheers 

Bennie

• Like 1

@Giles

Yea I am trying to solve this pleasant little mystery...heres some pics, I need to check if these fit the wagon.

My xt came with these though.

60134454_854171844915973_653740461355591

As far as the spoiler goes, you can't see the holes from the under side of the trunk lid. Those and the holes for the luggage bars had a slight upward indent.

Stereos, the fun part!

I really like the 1.5 din factory Subaru tape deck with optional auxiliary Jack. These have a 8 pin alpine style Jack for a CD changer or amp.

60323170_854172058249285_297975815860125

These were in first legacy! Amazing that an aux input was available in 1990! 

And one Subaru sub under each front seat plus a 10 in the trunk and your xt will sound sweet! Those little bastards are cool, stereo level input only (way better than line level) and don't require the amp remote turn on from the deck, just one 12v source. They thump too.

However my sunroof won't fit in the trunk with the sub.

Does double din fit? I have a spare slanted bezel but it's broken and I need to check if all the pieces are there so I can glue it together. 

And Giles my bro...sit down for this one. There are two xt parts cars near by that I need to check out.

Edited by sparkyboy