Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1 minute ago, Zip Tie said:

Awesome, thanks. Is there some placard or stamping that would better tell me the date range? 

There should be a serial number (?) on the back of the engine that someone on here or online might be able to decode?  I don't think those older engines had the VIN stamped on them. 

But if it's an EJ18 they should all be the same.

Here's the list of vehicles that came with that ignition coil part #:

http://opposedforces.com/parts/info/22433AA230/

Yea, '93-'95 Impreza 1.8.

I see someone who went to the trouble to make A/C lines to adapt the EJ compressor to the EA82 body.

I see some sketchy wiring! Look at the alternator and compressor. Also what is the bundle of wires draped over the engine?!

I see vacuum lines for the 4WD, so I assume it still has the FWD/4WD stock transmission.

Edited by Numbchux

There is a serial number by the starter, but I've never seen a way to search the databases by serial number (I worked at a Subaru dealership...I've tried, we could look up a VIN, and that would give a serial, but not the other way around).

The newer engines had the vin etched into the vertical part of the block on the passenger side of the bellhousing, right next to the seam with the transmission. But I doubt this is new enough.

1 hour ago, Zip Tie said:

Are there any specific problems with this engine I should look out for?

I've not personally dealt w/the 1.8, so no 'hands-on' but it 'should' be basically a less powerful EJ22.

Wikipedia Link....note this includes versions the USA never rec'd....and we got what was called the EJ18E , since ours did have individual fuel injectors  (I think) - like the 2.2 and 2.5.

Edited by wtdash

That airbox says it’s a Gen2 (legacy, the Impreza may have got this airbox straight up since they came in a bit later).

Looking at the shape of the intake I’d agree with it being an EJ18 - they all seem to have a much more pronounced “wave” in the intake runners from the pendulum box to the head than that of the EJ22.

And it’s time to wrap up that wiring in some sort of automotive conduit ;) 

Other than that, enjoy the ride, an EJ’d L series or MY is WAY better than a stock unit!

Cheers 

Bennie

Hey that's my SWAP!

I did that swap for my Ex-girlfriend back in '14 or so.  She sold it back in late '15.  They gal who bought it called me once (from Lebanon, OR)  So the story has gotten mixed up, cause I built it for my GF and then she sold it presumably to the gal you got it from.

It's an EJ18 from an 93 Impreza.

I did do a custom low line for the AC.  Someones screwed with my wiring a bit.  but all in all the A/C worked fine.

The large bundle across the engine is Headlamp relay setup.  No need for conduit.  It's been that way for 5 years, it's fine.

It has the Stock 5spd 4wd S/R, but it's in EJ cases so no adapter plate.  If you need a clutch use a clutch for an Impreza

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Zip Tie said:

Ha, yeah....not sure yet on the sketchy wiring. I'm picking it up this weekend and will be cleaning up the previous install.

There is nothing "sketchy" about the wiring.  

It's all non-insul crimped with glue sealed heat shrink.

If you need anything hit me up.  That was a clean swap and should not have ANY wiring issues other than the A/C compressor has had that wiring tugged on but even still it just needs a zip tie.

ECU and A/C relay are in the glove box.

Edited by FerGloyale

30 minutes ago, FerGloyale said:

Hey that's my SWAP!

I did that swap for my Ex-girlfriend

That's funny, my first ej swap was for an ex girlfriend! 

But when it came time for her to think about ej swap life without me, she got scared when superrupair in boulder, co- yeah naming names punks! Said they don't mess with swapped L bodies cause they couldn't find the diagnostic port...its under the hood, a pinout will tell you which wire to trace! Smh...pretty unique plug too...but I digress.

She bought a bugeye legacy...

I swooped in with the jack move for a fair price while i grabbed my xt! She should have listened to what I know of the ej22 engine, but she wasn't interested...i offered to just help her with the car and she got offended...

She still has my repair manuals! Lol good times

Edited by sparkyboy

Man, I made her a custom wiring diagram showing the stock EA and merged EJ wiring.  And one for the A/C too.  Laminated those MF's  

She never appreciated the car.  Sold it for a beat rump roast needing tranny Forester.  Good ridance to her.  After she left me I met hte love of my life, my wife and partner for REAL  

Glad to see the car still rocking out there.  That is a strong 1.8, only had 130k on it.  I resealed it with new HGs and new piston rings before I installed it.

lWait......now that I'm thinkin back......I feel like I pulled taht 1.8 and put a 2.2 in there just before we split.......Check the block stamp. 

• Like 1

Dude that car got all new in '14:

New Koyo Front wheel bearings + seals - both sides

New Koyo Rear wheel bearings+ seals - both sides

New Front struts - KYB 

New Rear struts - KYB

New brakes 4 corners (surfaced rotors, ceramic pads, new shoes?) pretty sure it's disc swapped from the 88 turbo, maybe not.

New OE balljoints front, both

New OE inner and outer tie-rods, both sides

New trans input seal(OE)

New trans Side output seals (OE)

New trans rear output seal (OE)

New O2 sensor

GL-10 Adjustable height seats from 88 turbo 

New clutch

Trailer hitch I built....pretty sure on that car.

We did the works on that car.  

Edited by FerGloyale
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, FerGloyale said:

There is nothing "sketchy" about the wiring.  

It's all non-insul crimped with glue sealed heat shrink.

I wasn’t saying there was anything sketchy about the wiring. 

Just that wiring should be tidy and protected. It doesn’t matter how well it works, if it’s not protected over time with vibration wiring damage and be caused and worst of all either a harness failure (engine no worky) or an electrical fire. 

Over here corrugations will kill a harness in not time if not properly protected. Plus wiring in black automotive conduit or spiral wrap looks mint over seeing every wire in the bunch (or worse still, not bunched together at all).

Thats what I was getting at. 

And it sounds like there was a lot of effort put into this car.  Kind of sounds like you would like to buy it back FerGloyale!

Cheers 

Bennie

8 minutes ago, el_freddo said:

I wasn’t saying there was anything sketchy about the wiring. 

Just that wiring should be tidy and protected. It doesn’t matter how well it works, if it’s not protected over time with vibration wiring damage and be caused and worst of all either a harness failure (engine no worky) or an electrical fire. 

Over here corrugations will kill a harness in not time if not properly protected. Plus wiring in black automotive conduit or spiral wrap looks mint over seeing every wire in the bunch (or worse still, not bunched together at all).

Thats what I was getting at. 

And it sounds like there was a lot of effort put into this car.  Kind of sounds like you would like to buy it back FerGloyale!

Cheers 

Bennie

I was going for "aircraft style"  i.e. wires bundled, but not hidden or wrapped in conduit.  Makes troubleshooting easy, and saves weight ;) lol

As to wanting it back.....nah. Too much old juju there.  Glad to see it rockin on into the future.  Non-interference, Simple OBD i EFI,  bomb proof, 118hp EJ18 and true 4wd with EJ clutch options!

I built it thinking it would be serviceable until at least 2030, if we can get Guziline that long anyhow.

But for someone ELSE.  I would work on it maybe but don't want to own it no mo.

Oh yeah new axles and obviously new timing and WP when engine went in.

Edited by FerGloyale

9 hours ago, FerGloyale said:

Hey that's my SWAP!

I did that swap for my Ex-girlfriend back in '14 or so.  She sold it back in late '15.  They gal who bought it called me once (from Lebanon, OR)  So the story has gotten mixed up, cause I built it for my GF and then she sold it presumably to the gal you got it from.

It's an EJ18 from an 93 Impreza.

I did do a custom low line for the AC.  Someones screwed with my wiring a bit.  but all in all the A/C worked fine.

The large bundle across the engine is Headlamp relay setup.  No need for conduit.  It's been that way for 5 years, it's fine.

It has the Stock 5spd 4wd S/R, but it's in EJ cases so no adapter plate.  If you need a clutch use a clutch for an Impreza

What! That's awesome. I meant no offense on the sketchy wiring. I haven't seen the car in person (I'm picking up the car in Lebanon this weekend). I am so stoked that the guy that built it found this post. FerGloyale I'll be contacting you as soon as I pick this thing up.

The lady that has it now says that it stopped running 2 weeks ago and her son says its the fuel pump. I got a new one, so I hope it's a easy fix.

12 hours ago, FerGloyale said:

Man, I respect your methods more than almost anyone else who posts here....but yikes.

I would definitely call the bare connections at the alternator and A/C compressor sketchy (though I'd guess that that's been done since you had it).

But beyond that, I see so many un-covered, and what appears to be unsupported wires. And hearing that they're a relatively high-amperage headlight circuit concerns me even more. Left as-is, that stuff will chafe and short out. I also see 2 fuse/relay blocks (one in the spare tire well, and one in front of the LH strut tower) that don't appear to be attached. It'd be fine for a test-drive or even several, but I wouldn't call that done.

Just my $.02.

I do find this story hilarious, and I'm glad to see that it's fallen into some hands that will keep it in good shape.

The relay block behind the battery is attached to the tower with a 6mm bolt. (through one of the relays that has a tab)

Alternator connections are insulated, the main lug is missing it's rubber cover, but it's not touching anything.

The relay block in the spare tire well was attached better int he past......Someone has cut/moved the Zipties that held it.  It's pulled the Vac lines for the 4wd solenoids.  Someone must have messed with that.  Maybe tried to put the spare tire in there?

The headlight bundle is very high quality, abrasion resistant, High temp rated, oil impervious wire.  It's bundled to itself so it's fairly stiff.  It isn't going to rub through.  It isn't going to melt.  It's the wiring we used to run our Vegtable oil/Diesel conversions at the old diesel shop.  We never ran it in loom because it hinders troubleshooting later.  Never had a rub through except once at sharp edge on a Cummins.  That saw alot of vibration.......this GL isn't goin to vibrate like that.

The fact that it's all there and looks to be intact after 5 years points to it being acceptable for more than a "test drive"

But I get it.  Some folks need their laundry to be folded and put in drawers.  Me? I might do that sometimes but if I leave it in the basket it's easier to see what I've got to wear!

6 hours ago, Zip Tie said:

What! That's awesome. I meant no offense on the sketchy wiring. I haven't seen the car in person (I'm picking up the car in Lebanon this weekend). I am so stoked that the guy that built it found this post. FerGloyale I'll be contacting you as soon as I pick this thing up.

The lady that has it now says that it stopped running 2 weeks ago and her son says its the fuel pump. I got a new one, so I hope it's a easy fix.

cool.  PM me I'm about 5 miles south of Philomath.

Check the Fuel Pump relay.  It should be either in the glove box with ECU or just to the left of the heater box above Gas pedal.

The IG. and FP relays should be on a bracket together. FP is Green connector.

I can't remember if I ran new wire to pump or tagged the EJs FP relay outpput into the stock EA82 FP relay connector.  (that one is above column)  look for hte bare 4 pole green connector.  Maybe the output wire just got tugged out.

When you get it running yer gonna be stoked.  That car is sweet. I've got a set of Chrome Nissan 14" rims that look sweet on it if you want em (redrills)