Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Installing a transfer case into an EA82

bratman18

In theory it’s really simple. Transmission in permanent 4wd to transfercase to diffs. Requires a minimum 6 inch lift and at that height you should already have the lift blocks connected so you build the mounts off of that. I put a transfercase in my ea81. 

1F9C4EC0-A53C-4773-AFFB-2F15380EB9E5.jpeg.cfa614b4c1362be4356ea7391246233f.jpeg

Yeah, I have a 6 inch lift, but only have 4 inch subframe spacers etc. Was hoping to not go bigger on those. How does your engine sit in the cradle? Did you still have the engine crossmember spaced down, or is that in it's normal spot, and the diff mounted under that? Thank you!

55 minutes ago, bratman18 said:

Yeah, I have a 6 inch lift, but only have 4 inch subframe spacers etc. Was hoping to not go bigger on those. How does your engine sit in the cradle? Did you still have the engine crossmember spaced down, or is that in it's normal spot, and the diff mounted under that? Thank you!

The control arms and steering rack have to go down with the diff, so it's generally easier to use the stock crossmember there, and then build pads for the motor mounts above that.

IIRC, I don't think 4" is enough to safely clear the front diff under the transmission.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bratman18 said:

From a few yrs ago...

https://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/22732-t-case-lift-faq-transfer-case-questions-answers/

Search some build threads from members above link - you may find what you need to know.

Edited by czny

4 hours ago, Rallyru said:

I built my own crossmember to hold the engine. It won’t fit with a 4 inch lift. 6 is minimum but 8 is better. I have a samurai transfercase but Nissan 720 is the most common to swap in.

post-60785-0-06148900-1508626032_thumb.jpg

Ok, no biggie about needing a 6". How did you mount the front diff? Thanks for the info!

16 minutes ago, bratman18 said:

Ok, no biggie about needing a 6". How did you mount the front diff? Thanks for the info!

I used an old piece of mustache bar and welded it to the stock crossmember to support the front. For the rear I built a crossmember that bolts to the radious rod blocks and welded the stock mount to that. You can see the crossmember I built in the pic below before I welded the diff mount to it. 

post-60785-0-66033800-1508625958_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bratman18 said:

Yeah, I've spent hours searching this topic. Some info here and there, but no pictures.

Of course there are no pictures anymore. You have to remember how many times USMB forum has been revamped over the years. 

I researched transfercase swaps for about 6 months before I did mine. It’s been done for over a year and I think I’m still the most recent person to do it in an old Subaru (There’s a Foz in Australia on solid axles that’s fairly recent). I’ve also taken the most pics (to my knowledge).

https://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/20721-solid-axle-lifted-subaru/

https://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/135063-2nd-transfercase-rigs/

There's other on here looking to do the same thing bratman18, like alexbuoy.

And myself later after EJ conversion is finally done. Already have a Nissan Xfer case & driveshafts.

There's a thread somewhere here in past that talks about moving lower x-member forward 2 inches.

Edited by czny

On 2/28/2019 at 11:23 AM, czny said:

https://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/20721-solid-axle-lifted-subaru/

https://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/135063-2nd-transfercase-rigs/

There's other on here looking to do the same thing bratman18, like alexbuoy.

And myself later after EJ conversion is finally done. Already have a Nissan Xfer case & driveshafts.

There's a thread somewhere here in past that talks about moving lower x-member forward 2 inches.

I appreciate you finding those posts! I havent been able to find anything, and I've searched. It looks as though that front diff mount is mounted solid, is that correct? Looks like I need to find a transfer case with shifter and driveshafts attached, so I have a starting point.

3 hours ago, bratman18 said:

I appreciate you finding those posts! I havent been able to find anything, and I've searched. It looks as though that front diff mount is mounted solid, is that correct? Looks like I need to find a transfer case with shifter and driveshafts attached, so I have a starting point.

Suzuki Samurai, 1984-88 Nissan720 PU King Cab, etc 4x4.

Yup, solid mounts from center section of rear mustache bar of an older 240Z,  200sx, front mounts AND save front R180 diff + axles from 720 PU in flavor of your choice like 3.90 R&P or 4.11 R&P.  Or fab your own solid mount. Just a plate with 2 holes welded to lower X-member at the right height.

On 720 Nissan PUs VIN plate is on passenger side of engine compartment. Lower RH corner has diff info. RB39 or RB41 is what you're looking for

Nissan used RC for R200 diffs & RB for R180 diffs in most '80s-'90s vehicles.

https://row52.com/home

Edited by czny
more info

On 3/2/2019 at 10:17 AM, czny said:

Suzuki Samurai, 1984-88 Nissan720 PU King Cab, etc 4x4.

On 720 Nissan PUs VIN plate is on passenger side of engine compartment. Lower RH corner has diff info. RB39 or RB41 is what you're looking for

Nissan used RC for R200 diffs & RB for R180 diffs in most '80s-'90s vehicles.

https://row52.com/home

Unfortunately, anything that old is long gone around here, even in junk yards. Which makes it more difficult, because of getting a transfer case with the shifter and driveshafts.

31 minutes ago, bratman18 said:

Unfortunately, anything that old is long gone around here, even in junk yards. Which makes it more difficult, because of getting a transfer case with the shifter and driveshafts.

https://www.autopartsearch.com/catalog-6/vehicle/nissan-datsun/1986/nissan-pickup/transfer-case-assembly

Yeah, I know how rare as hens teeth those are now. BUT, just last week when I posted that row52 there was one in Phoenix AZ. Gone now. Actually there are some out there but you may have to go out of state for Nissan Xfer cases. Don't overlook Nissan D10, 620 trucks.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, bratman18 said:

you don't need the drivelines.  Subaru drivelines slip in, and use the same output hubs.  They are gonna have to be custom lengths anyhow.  So just take a few old Subaru drivelins to the driveline shop nad heave them made to length.  Nissan T-case shifter is a simple slip on lever.  Could be made of anything.  Mounts that are on the nissan trucks are awkward to fit in a subaru...make your own.  All you need is the actual t-case.  I've got several I've collected over the years.  They are easy to rebuild with cheap bearings.  Unfortunately, the upper bearing is usually shot.  Because it only gets oil after the diff starts rolling.  So every time you start up and drive, the first 100 ft or so there is no oil to the upper bearing.  Even in 2wd.  They basically are a "lucas" additive display in terms of oiling.  3 gears stacked vertically with oil at the bottom.  It's gotta ladder up to the upper bearing.

When I put one in my wheeler, I am adding an "oiler" port to the top where the vent is.  So I can put a teaspoon of oil down there before driving after long sitting periods.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FerGloyale said:

Unfortunately, the upper bearing is usually shot.  Because it only gets oil after the diff starts rolling.  So every time you start up and drive, the first 100 ft or so there is no oil to the upper bearing.  Even in 2wd.  They basically are a "lucas" additive display in terms of oiling.  3 gears stacked vertically with oil at the bottom.  It's gotta ladder up to the upper bearing.

When I put one in my wheeler, I am adding an "oiler" port to the top where the vent is.  So I can put a teaspoon of oil down there before driving after long sitting periods.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/USA-Handle-Lubricator-Lubricating-Lubrication-Oil-Pump-Punching-Milling-Machine/113644515858?hash=item1a75bdb212:g:F4cAAOSwJp1cQBkA

Pull handle before driving ....plumb 1/4" tubing to top & mount on side of tunnel

The best transfercase to use is the samurai as it has high range reduction and aftermarket support like gearing, shifters, driveline disconnects, and parking brakes. It also tucks up the highest. But the Nissan cases are easier to install as the outputs line up and the flanges are the same as Subarus.