Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 89 GL got hit

I go to Florida about every month in my 1989 Subaru GL, and this time was especially interesting. I hit 90,000 miles and I also had this happen.

I was getting gas, and as I was putting the pump away, an older (90's) Dodge Ram backed right into the corner of the rear fender. Of course, the trunk didn't have a scratch on it, but my almost pristine and straight bodied Subaru took a beating. As the driver proceeded to pull away, the tow hitch of the truck smacked the bumper causing the stripping to rip off. The driver stopped as I was yelling for him to NOT hit my car, but the damage was done.

I only have liability insurance on the car and I was not about to get any insurance companies involved so I may have to live with the damages. I could possibly get it repaired (I know a body guy) for around $800. I am just concerned about rust, as it already has started to show. Water also leaks into the trunk now, and I need a new taillight as it is cracked. 

Should I fix it or live with it? This is very frustrating. 

IMG_4459 3.jpg

• Sad 1

Ummm... So why isn't his insurance covering the damage to your vehicle?  He was the one at fault - and the service station should have CCTV footage you could sepena (spelling?).

I wouldn't live with it and I'd be chasing down that driver if possible.  At the time you should've got all their details and have them contact their insurance company to put in a claim.

All the best with it.

Bennie 

• Like 1

I'm sorry to hear that bro!

And yes file a police report, and talk to your insurance as to how you can get paid for some other idiot...

Could have been worse bro, at least it's not on the pillar. You can hammer dolly that easy, once you have your check!

And i personally feel your pain, my camaro was arrow straight until some fool in a Mercedes decided texting was more important than driving safely.  I did get an insurance check luckily, I'm installing a tail panel soon.

I am a self taught backyard body man, I am still learning how to weld on sheet metal...but look closely at my xt on the back of the flatbed, a deer ran into her! What do you think of my work? That was a big asss dent!

I have a harbor freight stud welder and a harbor freight hammer and dolly set. I have two nice snap on dollys that belonged to my grandpa.

And funnything...there is a loyale sedan in the junkyard. Want a quarter or patch panel?

1972635453_shit2006.jpg.2e690b7f01fa0fa3f9376c4af2ce9d36.jpg1015426255_shit2007.thumb.jpg.7de27710364729e008f7694584d2ee27.jpg1211969003_shit2031.thumb.jpg.e3ca30656232684735edb7e2064ff47f.jpg