Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1984 EA81 Lifters

For some reason I couldn’t just add to my original post on lifter and valve noise. My car is at a mechanic who is also a relative of mine. 1984 brat 1.8 ea81. We adjusted the valves intake .010 and exhaust .014. Also set the timing to 8 which was at 4. Since the car is there and I have access to a lift I want to inspect the push rods and lifters. Are the lifters easy to get to for inspection? I also want to purchase a oil sending unit since mine is leaking. I called Napa and they didn’t have one. Should that be a easy part to source? Sorry for so many questions I’m just trying to learn as I go. I’m familiar with cars but this 1.8 is out of my norm...

Thanks Dave. I didn’t think there was a easy way. I’m probably over complicating things. I’ll inspect the push rods to make sure they are clean and good. I didn’t really see a lot of oil when I removed the valve covers. I thought it would pour out since the engine is flat. 

Is your '84 original? If so and it has an automatic it has hydraulic lifters which can be replaced in car per the manual. I'm not sure about mechanical lifters it doesn't say in the manual that they can be removed in car. It's usually not a good idea to run new lifters on an original cam. Is you mechanic adjusting them properly? If they have locking tabs they are hydraulics if not they should be mechanical.

Edited by silverhelme
further information

I believe my 84 is original EA81. It is a manual car and I have the OHV solid mechanic lifters. My intake is now set to .010 and my exhaust is now set to .014. Should the valves “ALWAYS” be set to these specs? I really don’t think I need to replace the lifters. I only wanted to do it as a precaution since I was adjusting the Valves and inspecting the push rods. I know on other cars I never replaced the lifters without replacing the cam. I wasn’t sure if this was the same on the Subaru EA81. Do you think I will do more damage than good swapping out the old lifters for new ones using the original cam?

Look into "How to keep your Subaru alive" http://jdmfsm.info/Auto/Japan/Subaru/--Articles--/--Books--/

Worn out camshaft and/or lifters: You'll know the cam and lifters are wearing out if the gap between one or more of the valves and the adjuster is extremely loose at every valve adjustment. Eventually you'll run out of adjustment threads on the bolt and the valve will still be loose. If it's the lobe on the camshaft wearing out the valves opposite each other on the engine will both be loose. If it's just a lifter wearing out, only the valve operated by that lifter will be loose. Either way, you have to remove and disassemble the engine to repair it.

I ordered a copy of HTKYSA off ebay. I’m waiting for it to arrive. Thanks for the reply. Im not going to worry about the lifters at this point. I adjusted the valves and I’ll see what happens next time I check them. Just seems like I hear them ticking. Maybe it’s normal with 100k miles. Not unbearable at all but it’s noticeable.