Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Old school diagnostics beats the young whipper snapper and his diagnistics

Yep. Love it. Satisfaction. Given Subaru has direct injection petrol this is relevant especially if you stick this era in your old EA series

Car is towed in with a no start, battery flattened as a result and the roadside assistance diagnosis of possibly bad fuel

Reports from owner in its last driving moment sounded like a failing fuel pump.

Eager young mechanic trained in a few different shops reaches for brand new diagnostic equipment. Gets a few codes, clears to get one , was it P1911? 

A bit of online research reveals one code has four possible causes. Great !

Old school does not have high (1760psi) pressure test equipment but wants to get it. Whipper Snapper says no need as scan tool shows pressures around there but peaks n troughs n goes weird so old and new agree to try easiest and quickest and cheapest component component that could cause this - fuel pressure regulator electronic type especially as removal, tinker and refit allegedly gave a change in running. Sorry, we got it idling with battery charge and got a low speed/load driveway crawl and then ok until give it the Berry's. And whipper snapper claims it is running better due to cleared codes other than P1911

Toilet paper to the mouth moment I think just by clearing stored codes

Meanwhile we find riser pump in tank is supposed to be 60 psi up to the cam driven high pressure pump

New FPR installed - no change

OK next possible component fuel pressure sensor at triple the price of FPR and just as simple to access and install just no available info on how to test

At this stage very little forum info found. One said after tail chasing this code, it was the high pressure pump. Another find ended on note member was resorting to a new high pressure pump and never came back to end the story

This pump was ten times the price of the FPR so a little cautious to try this just yet so the FPS got its chance...

Mind at this stage we have pulled low pressure 60 psi line off at the high pressure pump and fuel only dribbled out. Fuel gauge reading 1/8 so we use prime pump to drain contents and refresh with 10 litres premium fuel ..no change from the dribble

New FPS arrives and screws into the rail - no change, other than BINGO! the costly scan tool now coming on song - the new sensor is now reporting a rail pressure of 60 psi - from the riser pump in the tank !! So at least the ECU now knows the rail pressure (if it cares)

The riser pump pressure just passing through high pressure pump with no increase.

Well it's gotta be the 190,000 km old pump. Ordered and compared to old before install. Pump fits to end of camshaft with an old school oil pump style hex drive shaft with a narrow break off weak point engineered into it - something that could have been a cause also.

To the credit of whipper snapper he did find fingers could freely drive the HP pump whereas the new one would need a decent knuckle bar and socket to start to turn it

This pump was out in 10 minutes yet it took three weeks before it came out for replacement. Whipper snapper could not push his curiosity to at least remove and inspect initially 

New pump in and she bangs!

Little whipper snapper in the early stages boasted he had found my notes it was the HPP so he had written evidence of my (supposedly wrong :) ) diagnosis

$11 K worth of diagnostic scan tools work hell better when on board vehicle sensors are good !

This young guy sometimes works like some people believe techs work - wave magic wand and state a costly component is at fault, chucks an adult size tantrum of a four year old, looks down to the ground and walks off not wanting to discuss any further reasoning.

1 hour ago, DaveT said:

nothing in this sub forum area would have an OBD2 code like P1911....  Nothing I know of anyway.

But Jono is definitely stuck in this era so he’s not inclined to even visit the EJ or BRZ era sub forums let alone post in one :P 

Cheers 

Bennie

• Haha 2

Lucky, I doubt the US took in the GM Euro 2.2 litre Astra but that is what it was ....2006

Bennie got me well summed up until I finish my EJ20 and its AWD 5MT in the Brumby

Dave, it might not have been that code quoted. Possibly a special one for GM anyway :)

Edited by Steptoe