Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need some advice on my Hatch

Hey Gents. 

Picked up this sweet little hatchback out of Roseburg last month. Working through some of the issues since it has been sitting on the same farm for a decade and only driven a dozen times. 

Right now I’m having problems with it not idling after warm up. Sometimes when driving, the car will die at a stop. Or if I take too long in between gears, the rpms just dive. Thinking fuel pump, any thoughts?

I also need help find a few things, like a new mirror for the driver door. New window handle for passenger door. Maybe a new parking brake handle. 

Thanks for everything. I’ll be back on with future plans to this car, just trying to make it a good daily driver for now. 

BC567BB1-B1A3-4470-BD56-F80F7D43E82D.jpeg

• Like 2

Sweet find mate! A very rare sight over this way!

Try blowing compressed air back through the fuel lines. Then if you have time, pull the fuel tank out and give it a good flush. 

It could be a good idea to service the carb and blow out any crap that would most likely be in there after all those years of allowing the fuel bowl to go dry multiple times.  Also replace all rubber fuel lines ;) 

Cheers 

Bennie

• Like 2

Definitely not the fuel pump.Don`t waste your time w/that.

More likely flooded by too much fuel.

Fortunately,you don`t need to guess.Your car has the great diagnostic advantage of a sight glass on the carb.

Inspect the fuel level right after a stall It should be in the middle.I suspect yours may be too high.

Plenty of other possibilities like vacuum leaks(#1),stuck EGR,carb adjustments ,dirty carb...............etc

Please paint those 8 spokes a proper white!

Sweet ride! I have only seen a handful of two doors! Cheers man!

I have an xt so i am also a two door subaru owner lol

I dream of the two door hatch with the single round headlight. 

What's her name? And she's giving you troubles already? Ej22 swap time! Then you will be reliable and not slow.

This is the baby lion, my 86 gl with ej22. Next to a two door dl in boulder, co.

20171220_144349.thumb.jpg.0baffb22a1ca8b072eb209d195b9fe36.jpg

764597917_samsungshit241.thumb.jpg.3e1d2cf4a92ee5bf0bae4ae10a7c5897.jpg

^^ White 8 spokes are the cherry on top of L body Subarus!20171220_161943.thumb.jpg.59bce4b3be239a83ae908ec8f74a3955.jpg

Happy wrenching, have fun with your new subaru!

@Unknownjeremiah

It seems to me that you like to tinker with things, so:

I would order a rebuild kit for your carb first of all, you have the Hitachi two barrel? I barely remember as a kid needing to pour gas into the float to get her to start on my mom's old ea81, but that seemed to be the only problem...

I have rebuilt my camaros carb and it was fun, just take care and don't lose little parts!

The only reason I had to rebuild my Rochester is because of the ethanol in the fuel, in 1970 the carb had a rubber umbrella valve that was rubber and deteriorating, until it stopped working and overflowed the bowl.

The kit should cost around $30, or you can bite the bullet and do the Weber upgrade. Around $300 and worth every penny as I understand. Americans simply made better carbs than japan, datsun guys love the Weber too.

I'm glad you're open to the ej swap, if the Weber swap is biting the bullet, ej22 swap is like biting the shotgun shell!

Cheers boys!

Edited by sparkyboy

Found one of my two extra carbs. Pretty sure it’s a hitachi. Also found a disty cap and hitachi rotor head. Couldn’t find a driver mirror and didn’t want to grab it off the brat. 

Cant believe how many extra parts I still have. 

Edited by Unknownjeremiah
  • Like 1