Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tool stuck in CV axle roll pin

The punch I bought to change my CV Axles ended up going all the way through and snapping. The Company23 one desgined for Subaru.....does any one have any tips for getting this thing out? It's stuck really good and I can't drive to a mechanic because I accidentally used the the wrong Axle and now I need it off...

5 minutes ago, DaveAP said:

Find a drift pin the appropriate diameter,  and long enough to drive it out. That would work on 80's axles, not sure on yours.

I was able to drive it out with a 3/16 punch and a 3 pound hammer. Thanks guys

• Like 3

Use a crappy 1/4 drive extension to install the roll pin.  To start it place the pin in the wrench end so it will hold it in place while you get it started and wont let it expand or slip and fall.  Once you have driven ir in as far as the extension allows flip it over and use the socket end to finish it.  Finish it with a real punch if its not seated deep enough into the axle but it only needs another couple mm's at most.

Ruins the extension for its origional purpose but makes a great pin tool.  No chance for going too far or for expanding the pin

I drilled a hole in the top of my Subie size pin punch half depth of a pin? to install, or rather start the installation and just gently tap the wrong end of punch. Glad you got it out so soon. I got the taper of my punch jambed well and good on rear axle and ended up pulling the diff and it stayed as a garden ornament for years. I finally had some luck in removing that punch