Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Can you solve this POTD (Puzzle of the Day)?

Captain Stupid here.  We're all acquainted with the "spare parts" theory and don't panic when there's an extra nut or bolt leftover from a job.

After a lengthy delay (caused by two car wrecks and a nasty cold winter spell) the EJ25D I pulled from my '99 OBW and rebuilt is back in place and things look pretty good.

Except... for this rather distressing spare part.  I've turned it over and run it (for just a few seconds because the rad isn't in yet), and it seems to be running smoothly, so I don't think it's a manifold/vacuum thing, which would be the most likely guess.  Obviously I can't tell yet whether it's coolant-related.  I'm freaking out.

IMG_4154.JPG

Maybe part of the cruise control system? I just pulled one out of a '96 Legacy and there were two short hoses like this, on both ends of a hard line on the firewall, one to the actuator on the firewall and one to the pump/valve unit on the passenger strut tower, though I think on mine the hoses were slightly thinner and din't have any hose clamps. It seems possible there wouldn't be a vacuum leak when the cruise control isn't enabled.

10 minutes ago, wclarkson said:

Maybe part of the cruise control system? I just pulled one out of a '96 Legacy and there were two short hoses like this, on both ends of a hard line on the firewall, one to the actuator on the firewall and one to the pump/valve unit on the passenger strut tower, though I think on mine the hoses were slightly thinner and din't have any hose clamps. It seems possible there wouldn't be a vacuum leak when the cruise control isn't enabled.

I just checked, and that's not it, though I see what you mean.  I've had the engine in and out of this thing a few times, and haven't had to mess with anything at the firewall other than the heater hoses.

Coolant hose that goes from IAC to throttle body.  

If you ran the a hose directly from the crossover pipe to the throttle body you won't need this.  Although then your IAC won't see the warmed up coolant, may high idle longer than ussual

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, FerGloyale said:

Coolant hose that goes from IAC to throttle body.  

If you ran the a hose directly from the crossover pipe to the throttle body you won't need this.  Although then your IAC won't see the warmed up coolant, may high idle longer than ussual

This

Coolant flows through the IAC and Throttle body to prevent icing. Almost every manufacturer does this (some through the EGR valve, as well), yet in real world situations, they very rarely ice up (here in Northern MN, we see some of the coldest temperatures that a car might have to deal with, and I've bypassed this system many times).

My lingering suspicion (read: fear) has been that this connects to the crossover pipe, and that I missed it because it's one of the miserable things you have to attach while lowering the manifold (e.g. the coolant temp sensors).  But (naturally) I was sure I got everything under there.

If you're right, I should be able to peek under the TB just by taking the air box off.  Will advise...

[edit]

Yup, that was it alright.  I'd attached the driver's side hose but not this one on the passenger side of the TB.

A million thank-yous, gentlemen.

Edited by jonathan909
  • Like 2