Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Broken 4WD Button

Long story short, the other day I broke the push button for my 4WD. Like it flew into pieces... I put it all the little copper pieces back into place and it works, but only if I hold the button. I've tried looking on here and Google for a wiring diagram to see what type of switch it is to see if I could get a generic switch to dash mount it like I did with my old subie (exept with the original button) any help would be appreciated as I dont want to short anything important out. The pic is of my new shifter knob.

20190308_134837.jpg

• Like 1

On my 3AT transmissions, the switch is an alternate action button.  Mechanically clicks on and stays down, clicks off stays up.  Just 2 wires, open circuit or close circuit to get 4WD. 

I've had a couple break, found I could use a #2-56 screw to hold the 2 pieces back together.   If they break again, I'll have to find a part, and make an adapter, and or 3d print something. 

42 minutes ago, DaveT said:

On my 3AT transmissions, the switch is an alternate action button.  Mechanically clicks on and stays down, clicks off stays up.  Just 2 wires, open circuit or close circuit to get 4WD. 

I've had a couple break, found I could use a #2-56 screw to hold the 2 pieces back together.   If they break again, I'll have to find a part, and make an adapter, and or 3d print something. 

he's got a Manual.

It's a Double Throw switch.  3 wires.  12v+ on one wire.  Other 2 are each for one of the 2 solenoids.

12v in on one wire.....then out on a second wire to solenoid for 2wd when button up.

Press button down and now 12v+ passes to the other wire for solenoid to 4wd.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, FerGloyale said:

he's got a Manual.

It's a Double Throw switch.  3 wires.  12v+ on one wire.  Other 2 are each for one of the 2 solenoids.

12v in on one wire.....then out on a second wire to solenoid for 2wd when button up.

Press button down and now 12v+ passes to the other wire for solenoid to 4wd.

This, SPDT. I used a pushbutton shifter from a PT4WD Loyale to control the center diff lock on an RX FT4WD transmission, and it's a very simple circuit. SPDT switch provides power to one of 2 solenoids by the LH strut tower.

• Thanks 1

i remember when my 4WD switch popped out of the shifter randomly, i ended up placing my switch on the dash to the left of the wiper switch where the blank is on some models and discontinued the switch on the shifter.

worked great for me, never understood why the switch was on the shifter like im going to be switching it on and off as often as i shift, cool nontheless.

there's some kind of roll pin i never could figure out to remove the switch mechanism from the shift lever, so i just lived with the hole on the shifter.

Edited by Subasaurus

10 minutes ago, Subasaurus said:

there's some kind of roll pin i never could figure out to remove the switch mechanism from the shift lever, so i just lived with the hole on the shifter.

You figured it out.

It's a roll pin.  

You just drive it out with a punch and the shift knob lifts up off the shaft.

So after tinkering around I'm embarrassed to admit I should have seen this to begin with. Lol. For anyone wanting to know about the wires coming out of the switch: the White Wire is constant 12V, the Yellow Wire is the 2WD wire and the Red Wire is the 4WD wire.