Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need help with FWD to 4WD conversion...

I had a 1986 leone coupe with 5 speed manual FWD, it was my first car. Gave it to my dad, he wants to convert it to 4WD (he had a 4WD leone pickup that he liked very much like 20 something years ago so for him its a real dreamy car and i think its an awesome project since it will bring that subaru back to life).

Wanted to know:

1) Could we swap parts including engine from a newer mid 2000's to start of 2010's Impreza?

2) What do we need to put in and/or swap to make it old 4WD or new all time AWD?

Would realy love to make that dream come true!

IMG-20190120-WA0003.thumb.jpg.fe1a7e749bba00dbaa5b43cb4dcda869.jpg

Lots of thanks to the Subaru gurus

Edited by My name starts with M

I have swapped an older ej22 into an L body, it's pretty straightforward.  

Starting in 2007, at least in the US they started the immobilizer thing, so you need the harness, ecu and the manifold from the same car is what someone told me at the junkyard.

Grab the driveline stuff from the trans back for awd, a custom length driveshaft will likely be needed. Make sure to get the hubs and note spline count, since you will also be five lug swapping the front as well.

For old school dual range you need the trans and rear pumpkin with axles and hubs to match?

Plus an adapter plate if installing an ej engine. 

It seems easy enough to me, but someone with more experience in the 2wd to 4wd subject can add his two cents!

If it were me, I would find a cheap ej and not worry about the 4wd part for now. That donor impreza you mention for all the awd stuff will be much cheaper with a blown engine!

Happy wrenching!

Some five lug swap action here:

Edited by sparkyboy
  • Like 1

easiest would be to swap in EA82 style 4wd system.  loyales, GL's with the same front clip as yours, and many others should fit (idk about driveline).  I think theres a dual range install thread or 5 in the modification forum that can give you some info on that.  there are full time and part time options in those years.

the motor in yours has a short shelf life.  they are discontinuing essential parts.  Motor swap would be the way to go.  search ej swap and bring a lunch.  if you want the stock motor find a new or a couple used but good oil pumps to keep around.  they dont fail regularly but you cant get them easily anymore so when they do its dead.

generally its easier to just drive the EJ car but there are ways to swap in the full impreza running gear.  sentimental value might make that appealing.  check the mod forum.  ej swap, 5 lug swap, etc.

Edited by djellum
  • Like 1

Hey nice coupe!

What you need for the 4wd conversion is:

- rear “K” frame that the suspension mounts to. This will also require the swing arms with the stub axle that is splined and rostered. You’ll need the drum/disc and associated parts too. 

- rear diff and drive shafts

- moustache bar and mount points left and right. This part holds the back of the diff in place. To fit this to the coupe you’ll need to drill holes and work out how to get annut behind the holes. You could get lucky and find a set of holes with a captive nut in place but it’s not always the case. 

As for the AWD box, you’ll need to make a custom gearbox crossmember. There are details around here on how to do that. L-Rex on ausubaru.com.au has some awesome details of this in the build of his EJ turbo L series.  You can source MPFI or turbo MPFI L series front shafts that will fit the EJ AWD box output stubs no worries.  

Just make sure the gearbox comes with axle stubs and not the female setup where the driveshaft goes into the gearbox - otherwise it’s custom drive shaft (same if you do the 5 stud conversion with EJ brakes)

On the topic of brakes - standard EA will do if you’re not street racing and drive it appropriately. I’d be givin the whole system a good service though and throwing a set of braided brake lines in for good measure.  Rear discs would be a beneficial upgrade - but make sure they’re the 4wd ones and that you get the hub, disc, backing plate, caliper and brake line that runs along the swing arm as it’s different to that of the drum brake. 

No adaptor plate needed for the EJ engine to EJ AWD box - your clutch cable will slip in and do the job. If the clutch was operated by hydraulic from the donor vehicle then you’ll have to source a cablemoperated clutch fork and cable mount (or use yours from the EA box).

Engine wiring is always the biggest headache for most. Get that sorted and you’re off and away!

Also remember that the EJ AWD box is setup to run a larger diameter tyre to that of the EA’s.  You could try doing a diff ratio swap to compensate but that’s pretty involved and you’d want to start with an Impreza or Foz box from my thought/research.  Or run the Impreza/liberty sized tyre and do the EJ brake upgrade too.

Once you’re all done it’ll be a sweet ride!

All the best with it!

Cheers 

Bennie

Edit/ps: I should’ve added that to get the 4wd rear end parts get an L series 4wd donor - sedan or wagon, turbo or NA (turbo will have rear discs and possibly a clutch pack lsd if both haven’t been sold off already). Then you’ll have all the bits you need. 

Edited by el_freddo
  • Like 1

Make sure you leave enough in the budget to slam her extra low, and a fresh paint job...although a little patina goes a long way, yours is about perfect. 

Tinted windows. 

Then monster turbo. Keep the flat hood and squeeze a bumper mount intercooler in there.

And a set of those formula mesh basket weaves...on the standard non rx coupe? Sick made!

What's her name?

My 86 gl with ej22 is the baby lion and my 85 xt turbo, ghost that I am going to slam to lowlife level, like this guy...

764597917_samsungshit241.thumb.jpg.3e1d2cf4a92ee5bf0bae4ae10a7c5897.jpg

1683591174_shit2029.thumb.jpg.cd1892254f9f472a60d7c04ac2638b04.jpg

old_timer_odaiba_16_dino_dalle_carbonare_42-1200x800.thumb.jpg.b372eef51d533fb48e0a0034f3443a44.jpg

Edited by sparkyboy