Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Where do I put the jack stand on the rear of my 2014 Outback?  On the older subarus, the trailing arm had a pivot point near the scissor jack pinch lifting point that could be used.  But now they moved the trailing arm inward and other things are in the way.

The photo is  looking up at the bottom of the car in front of the rear passenger tire.  At the top of the photo, you can see the indents for the pinch point for the scissor jack.  The two bolts, that are close together, are too close to the pinch lifting point to use as a lifting spot.  Towards the front of the car shown in the photo on the right side, there is flat spot where a rounded corner slot [1 1/4" by 1/2" ] is located.  The jack stand would fit there.  The metal is 3/16 in. thick.  Does that seem strong enough?

If not there, then where?  I know one alternative is to get a floor jack, then jack at the differential, and set the jack stands at the pinch point.  But isn't there a simple way. 

ps  The black at the bottom of the photo is the plastic protector bolted on the car bottom. 

UPDATE:  So i went ahead and lifted where the rounded -end slot is shown on the photo.  I used a 2x3 piece of plywood to spread the load  It didn't seem to bend anything.   I changed both rear brakes, rotors and pads.  Incidentally, I used "Seven Sparta" jack pads on the jack stands to prevent damage to the pinch welds.   These are hard rubber and they stood up without any damage to them.  Highly recommended.  

IMG_20190309_154454302.thumb.jpg.369d5aff47c60fe9802235aa196a0544.jpg

Edited by mikec03
Added updatel

1 hour ago, crazyman03 said:

Theres a little notch impression stamped in the metal - thats the indicator of where to lift from. 

That said - that lip IS where you lift from. I had picked up one of these - that allows you to use a hydraulic jack

-Justin

That is all well and good, but where to lift from is not the question.

the question was where to place a jack stand after lifting

I have rubber adaptors for my floor stands which fit the pinch weld.   But the original question is where can i put the jack stands so that I don't have to buy and store a floor jack.

Surely there are mechanics on this board that have lifted up 13 year+ outbacks on  a rack!  Where do you put the lift points.  Or do you put them on the pinch welds?

The hydraulic jack is a  unique idea.  But can you trust a hydraulic jack while you are under the car?  I'm not going that route anyway. 

you could, in theory, use the stock jack under the rear diff, and use the jack stands at the stock lift points, but I would definitely use caution while jacking.

other than that, I really cant offer any other suggestions as we don't have anything that new here, and we do have & use a floor jack for jacking up.

if it's def. a one-time thing, get a floor jack from harbor freight or a used one from a pawnshop, when you're done, sell it on craigslist. Think of it as a rental.

but I really like having my floor jack. In addition to intended lifting duties,  I've used for 'odd' things like lining-up holes for rear shock installation and breaking rear diff fill/drain plugs loose, etc.

16 hours ago, mikec03 said:

I have rubber adaptors for my floor stands which fit the pinch weld.   But the original question is where can i put the jack stands so that I don't have to buy and store a floor jack.

Surely there are mechanics on this board that have lifted up 13 year+ outbacks on  a rack!  Where do you put the lift points.  Or do you put them on the pinch welds?

The hydraulic jack is a  unique idea.  But can you trust a hydraulic jack while you are under the car?  I'm not going that route anyway. 

Yes, Subaru mechanics lift from the pinch welds.

So you're lifting with a scissors jack on the pinch weld, and setting on a stand? Yuck, that sounds miserable. I've been using one of those ~$75 aluminum jacks for 15 years. They're SO much easier to work with, and really not difficult to move around and/or store.

On the newer multilink cars (yours is one of those), I straddle the 2 bolts for the subframe brace (the 2 bolts pictured, not the one holding the plastic on) with the saddle of the stand.

Thanks numbchuc for naming what that brace is for = subframe brace.   For those who haven't looked, the bolts in question attach the subframe brace to a welded fixture which is like a rectangular tube,  2" x 5," along the edges of the car in the vicinity of the rear wheel.

So I'm going to use the scissor jack where the rounded corner slot is on the picture.  I'm using a 2 x 3" plywood piece to spread the load a little.  Then I'll set the car done on the jack stand at the pinch weld.  I tried it and it doesn't seem to bend anything.  As mentioned before, I have rubber adaptors for the jack stand to support the pinch weld.