Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 oil pressures

OK. Irrespective of temps between -9°C to +42°C I have always run my EA82s NA or turbo on 10W40 or 15W40 and often a Diesel spec for their bigger detergent packages. My daily driver at op temp at idle will drop to zero yet not set off the oil light sensing off another port.

A rule of thumb declared in here to expect 10 psi per thousand revs and I mostly get this with normal driving....

Just took my Vortex for a run ...reading the weird metric kg/cm3 gauge it cruises about the 30 to 40 psi at op temp never going lower despite hot 30°C daytime temps. The 3 on the gauge is 42 psi

She only has well maintained 180,000 km on her whereas the others , who knows?

Current daily turbo is as legend goes, a low km import and it is the low pressure at idle baby. Also smokes enough to need 500 ml top up in 1500 km. Never any bearing knock when gauge goes low.

Are there any tweaks or service procedures to wind these pumps minimum up a bit? Surely at 800 rpm these pumps must have some pressure.

I used to put a 3mm spacer behind the oil pressure relief valve spring.  I have no idea what it did to oil pressure but I’d say it held the valve closed for longer. 

Now I haven’t had this issue for the best part of a decade.

Cheers 

Bennie

All of my several EA82s show/ed "0" oil pressure on the stock gauges at idle.  It's really something like 5psi, but the stock gauge isn't accurate enough  ro register.   Since there is only very light load at idle, it doesn't ruin anything.