Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Im looking to purchase a 2011 Subaru Impreza 2.5i, however it, just like all automatic subarus before its time, is stuck with one of the worst automatic transmissions in the history of the planet. I also own a 1999 Nissan Altima, and it to has a 4-speed automatic. My question is, is it possible to swap in a 5speed transmission, like one found in the later legacy models, or is this a no go. I would like for the swap to be somewhat painless, obviously it will take some elbow grease and a few moments of pure frustration, but is it possible?

Ive considered a manual, however, i just cant be bothered. I do a lot of highway driving and id love to just throw the sucker in drive and be on my merry way.

Correction, one of the worst automatic transmissions is the three speed. 

I haven’t heard anyone call the four speed auto one of the worst transmissions out there.

Someone might be able to chime in here, but it might be possible to get the TCU re-programmed to run better as per your requirements.

As for your swap it’s not just a simple transmission swap, you’ll need the matching TCU, wiring and somehow make the ECU and TCU talk together. 

Cheers 

Bennie

Mechanically, easy.

Electronically.....well, as they say, "if you have to ask." AFAIK, all the 5EAT cars had immobilizers, which means the TCU is looking for a CAN signal from other modules, which will be virtually impossible to make happy outside the car for which it was designed. Probably would require a standalone auto trans controller (which I've never seen done on a Subaru transmission, those controllers generally are not designed to control AWD as well). And quite a bit of custom programming.

4EAT is a decent trans. I don't like the standard AWD system, but there are models with the VTD on the 4EAT. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, TonyNotTheTiger said:

Im looking to purchase a 2011 Subaru Impreza 2.5i, however it, just like all automatic subarus before its time, is stuck with one of the worst automatic transmissions in the history of the planet. I also own a 1999 Nissan Altima, and it to has a 4-speed automatic. My question is, is it possible to swap in a 5speed transmission, like one found in the later legacy models, or is this a no go. I would like for the swap to be somewhat painless, obviously it will take some elbow grease and a few moments of pure frustration, but is it possible?

Ive considered a manual, however, i just cant be bothered. I do a lot of highway driving and id love to just throw the sucker in drive and be on my merry way.

you won't be swapping it due to the CANBUS debacle mentioned earlier.

buy a manual transmission vehicle or enjoy an automatic for what it is - less maintenance, more flexible, easier to replace, and more reliable. 

20 hours ago, TonyNotTheTiger said:

IIRC, later Legacy and Outbacks have CVT trans....not 5at

Hate to tell ya but the 4 spd auto in that Nissan is almost the same trans in terms of guts and valve body.  Jatco 4AT

The 5AT, even if it could be swapped in, would not be significantly better in any real way.

If you need more responsiveness, just use "sport" mode and select your gear manually.

Or, get a slightly newer model with the CVT, and use the paddle shifters and the 8 "gear" selections it yields.