Ultimate Subaru Message Board

97' Impreza Transmission Pan Broken Bolt

Hi all.  While removing the oil pan on my transmission to reseal I ended up snapping a bolt.  I drilled it out but for some reason I cannot tap the hole.  I'm using a new tap so its sharp but it won't cut any threads.

Any ideas on what I can do?  Thanks

thumbnail.jpg

2 hours ago, palfer said:

I've not used helicoil before.  How does the insert anchor itself into the hole if there aren't threads?

Just to clarify, a helicoil is a coil of square wire.  You oversize drill and tap the damaged hole, then screw the helicoil into the new threads - that's what keeps it in place.  Then the inside of the coil is the new thread your fastener screws into.

That was my impression which is sort of the struggle because I can't tap the hole.  Seems the metal is so soft the hole just widens on me.  If I could tap it, I'd just drill out the hole in the pan and use a larger bolt.  Maybe I can get the coil to bite just enough to thread a bolt.  As mentioned, there is very little torque on these bolts, just need it flush to prevent a fluid leak