Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Marker (parking) lights really won’t turn off

I checked the rocker switch on top of the steering wheel. The lights won’t turn off no matter the position, which probably means a bad switch or a short somewhere. If there is a fuse I can pull to disable them , I can’t find it. How can I identify the correct wire to cut under the steering column to disable them?

My bet is something has physically bridged the switch circuit in the steering column.

I'd remove the covers and inspect the area.

On;y other possibility I see is maybe if the column was removed or messed with, and some wires got pinched together upon reinstall.

When/how did this situation first present itself?

It just started to happen the last time the car was driven.  We bought it used to get something cheap but probably reliable to get around town.  There are some wires hanging under the steering column, but I cant tell if they go to the light switch or what.

Does it have Keyless entry?  Was the battery disconnected?

Sometimes after dead battery or battery disconnect, you need to press the "set" button on for the keyleess/alarm system, or else the lights will stay on flashing, but not constant.

Look up under there, if it's a non-Subaru alarm setup theat could be an issue too.  If it has one of those....find the fuses for it and pull them......they'll be in the wiring bundle for that system most likely.

1 hour ago, AndrewKerber said:

It just started to happen the last time the car was driven.  We bought it used to get something cheap but probably reliable to get around town.  There are some wires hanging under the steering column, but I cant tell if they go to the light switch or what.

not sure about your model/year but there may be some test connectors hanging beneath the steering column that would likely be unrelated to your issue.

unplug the switch, see if it goes away.  if not, look for the tail/illumination relay, pull that out.  if that doesn't turn it off, something aftermarket or is wired different from factory.

This is from a 98 impreza, similar setup as legacy

image.png.567cddc7cec52c84921b488498ec8822.png

Edited by nvu

don't ever just cut wires.. you can cause more problems than it solves.

Pull the fuse for the tail/clearance lights in the fuse box, but only when the car is stopped/shut off, until you can find the source of the issue and correct it properly.

or, you can try unplugging the column switch - you will have to remove the covers to get to it, but that should just be a few screws accessed from the bottom side of the column.

you can access the wiring diagrams for your car here: http://jdmfsm.info/Auto/Japan/Subaru/

• Like 1