Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New Member - 86 GL Hatch

Whats up?  Just joined here.  I've been an 80's Subaru fan since I was in high school, having owned an 89' DL Coupe.  That car was auto and fwd but I had always wanted to own a manual 4WD Subaru of the vintage.  Unfortunately in the northeast they are hard to find in good shape as Im sure you all know.

Last week, I just randomly did a search on CL and this bad boy popped up one town over.   No rust at all (from WA), mechanically excellent, 4 speed dual range EA81.  Even the a/c works and blows cold.  Has some accident damage on the front which I may fix but overall a good driver.  

Anyway looking forward to participating in this forum.  

IMG_0293.jpg

IMG_0294.jpg

IMG_0295.jpg

IMG_0296.jpg

• Like 2

That's cool as hell man, was that car pulled behind an rv or something?  Those 84k miles treated her nice.

I'm a sentimental nerd and been hoarding chevys and subarus. I have always wanted a two door hatch.

My 86 gl with ej22, the baby lion in boulder co with a sweet 85 dl

20171220_144349.thumb.jpg.0baffb22a1ca8b072eb209d195b9fe36.jpg

20171216_135629.thumb.jpg.097d650845a5a824024dc66164ccbe36.jpg

My 85 xt turbo, ghost

1174592291_shit2008.thumb.jpg.c7ee85a484048c256722e5eee7600391.jpg

And my 88 gl, Skye

Resized_20190202_151903.thumb.jpeg.dd26ec44eebe275a340b64ca2f1c9853.jpeg

Edited by sparkyboy

@Scoby4wd - awesome score there mate! Look after that one!  If the mod bug hits get something else to mod!!

@sparkyboy - mate, love your enthusiasm, but you’ve bombed in more photos of your rides than what Scoby4wd has!! We’re all proud owners here, but if we all did this we’d have difficulty finding those with the new rides! 

Cheers 

Bennie

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scoby4wd said:

Haha guys Im looking at a 5 speed 4wd Loyale this weekend.  Boy the bug has hit me!  This and a Brat are on my bucket list!

Awesome man! Haha plieades hooks another one, those seven sisters sure have a way about them! I think the solar radiation from that constellation scrambles the brainwaves slightly or something lol!

Are you going to check out a loyale sedan or wagon? Good luck man and i hope she's as tasty as your 86!

Best thing about these cars is that the parts to keep them going just about grow on trees in the form of the ej engine.

@el_freddo

I know my friend, anyone who spends about 5 minutes in the old gen forums will certainly get plenty of looks at my piles lol! Hopefully an eye full and not an eye sore! I can't help it sometimes but these little.boxes are simply too cool and i love it when someone just starts to dig them...it was here where I first became aware of the ej swap!

Cheers boys 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Scoby4wd said:

Haha guys Im looking at a 5 speed 4wd Loyale this weekend.  Boy the bug has hit me!  This and a Brat are on my bucket list!

Ok, I'm going to do two things here - 1) warn you and 2) do what I've just told sparkyboy "off" for.

So the warning - be careful with the bug!  I'm up to 4 subarus now - my beloved L series (the $500 special - see below for further details), my brumby (daily) and two Gen1 RS turbo libertys (legacys, one going, one "being worked on").    My L series is the slightly modified one.  First mod was a welded rear diff, then an EJ22, then lift (dropped the welded diff as it got me into plenty of trouble with the EA82), "a few" gearbox mods, snorkel, rear cargo storage area (up to mk2).  Anyway, here she is in all her glory after about 14 years of ownership, 10 years with the EJ and 9 years with the lift:

K1f9Vj.jpg

And with my brumby (brat) - just after swapping the rims to the Scorpion 5 spokes ;)  Lov'em!!

6RKH6N.jpg

The L gets pretty loaded up for offroad when headed out for a weekend or a week!

Cheers

Bennie

• Like 1

Thats funny.  Given the low price of these cars it doesnt seem that difficult to scratch the itch, although here in the northeast these cars are hard to come by.  My bucket list is a Loyale or later GL wagon with push button 4wd and a last gen Brat.  Oh and an RX Turbo coupe. Basically all cars I lusted after in high school.

• Like 2

Haha! You guys are awesome!

I should stop buying or sell something, but @Scoby4wd have you looked into the 4 corners area? I hope we don't create another monster here @el_freddo! And by the way I've posted pics of my camaro here, the more the merrier I think! And the new guys won't have to search the pics forum lol!

There are lots of old subes and bmws mostly rust free, and dirt cheap. I have recently seen a couple of two door hatches, and a wagon that I would take quick. Also an e28 and 633c. 

The local sube market here is odd, but the college kid who worked his way through school will sell his GL or first gen leggo for $500 to buy a wrx to be like his friend whose parents paid for school. Cheap brats too. I almost got an 88 for $800 last summer!

Then on the other side of the coin are the hippie ladies who think their 250,000 mile loyale is worth $2500 cause it's clean...and probably get $2000! But man in boulder there are tons of Subarus, almost every other car seems like at times!

In the junkyards here it is a phase one ej feast, but i sh!t you not, there are more Porsches than L body subarus.

I'll say this, the ej swapped L body is a beast at stoplight to stoplight racing :P

Edited by sparkyboy

4 hours ago, Scoby4wd said:

sparkyboy tell me more about this 4 corners area.  Is this on Craigslist?

Ummm....no

Just kidding yea CL I just select all surrounding areas from Denver but albequrque, Santa fe/taos, Farmington and salt lake city is a good spot, but Nebraska and Kansas has a lot of cool stuff.

Hitch a car dolly to...um...see why your car needs a name? Ask your mom, girlfriend or baby momma momma or whatever to name her!

But sube demand tends to be low, warm climate and dry people like trucks for off road cause it's all brute force, not much finesse or grace is required like mountain off roading, where a little gl can and has destroyed a lifted diesel f250 and made it miles farther. I helped him dig out of the snow, took 3 hours :P

That's why CO and WA are Subaru havens, I need to bring my gl to WA. I have never been and have a friend I haven't seen in 16 years lives there. 

I've always wanted a series 2 RXII coupe after I first found out about them!

only problem is the nearest place to get them is NZ and I’m a typically un-cashed-up Subaru nut :( 

Get what you can, but make sure it’s good to start with! 

Cheers 

Bennie