Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My son has a 09 Subaru Forester 230K miles AWD standard bought it a couple months ago. I cannot find any oil leaks, checked tailpipes - no oil residue, will check operation of PVC valve once I locate it. I should pull plugs to see what they look like – will do soon.

My problem – I check oil dipstick – no oil on stick – no dash warning light – put in a quart – no oil on stick – put in 2nd quart oil barely shows on stick. I use 5w-20 as directed on fill cap. I check next day – oil is full on stick - I check his oil weekly – same behavior – what concerns me is 2 quarts every week sometimes more? – It’s got to be burning it? I did Google around – lots of folks bitching about oil usage In Forester– saying should be a recall. What do you guys think?

Thanks,

Milty

On 3/14/2019 at 9:41 PM, Mike104 said:

The 09 has the EJ25 engine and it's the FB series of engines that were recalled for oil consumption 

https://subaru.oemdtc.com/80/engine-oil-consumption-2013-2015-subaru

Definitely use a Subaru OEM PCV valve and switch to synthetic as GD said.  

You're correct that the FB series engines had the widespread oil consumption issues.The first FB engines were used in 2011, I believe. 

My '03 has been using a quart every 1500 miles or so. Just replaced the PCV valve- hoping that was it. I am running the recommended 5W-30 oil.

Edited by Stevo F