Ultimate Subaru Message Board

98 legacy outback 2.5l no turbo timing belt

call around for prices - parts are gonna be $250-$300  +/- $30-$50 for parts alone.  depending on source and if you're doing the waterpump , cam/crank seals ,w'ever

but it's QUITE likely you have valve damage.

best to get OEM or japanese parts; japanese bearings in the rollers, NTN tensioner, Aisin is good for waterpump, Mitsuboshi belt....check ebay and rockauto.

I got my wrx kit from ebay mizumo auto I think.

do you plan to DIY?

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

they offer different combos of stuff - Mine had a mitsuboshi belt. But, the bearings in the rollers were GMB which some say is only mid-quality. I may accelerate my next service to 75K miles instead of 105.

shoulda just got OEM but, I understand folks wanting to save a little money. Too bad Gates seems to be falling in quality.

last OEM I ordered, I used a code from https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/121-subaruonlineparts-com/501795-new-lower-pricing-subaru-gear-codes-vip-s.html?highlight=savings

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

3 hours ago, 1 Lucky Texan said:

call around for prices - parts are gonna be $250-$300  +/- $30-$50 for parts alone.  depending on source and if you're doing the waterpump , cam/crank seals ,w'ever

but it's QUITE likely you have valve damage.

best to get OEM or japanese parts; japanese bearings in the rollers, NTN tensioner, Aisin is good for waterpump, Mitsuboshi belt....check ebay and rockauto.

I got my wrx kit from ebay mizumo auto I think.

do you plan to DIY?

I have a friend that can do it for me I’m just broke as codswallop and seeing if it’s worth just selling which sucks cause it has a salvaged title. The gasket heads, cylinder heads and the cat is done on it to. I just don’t know how much it’s even worth.

are you sure about the timing belt? did it stall?

hard decisions, especially when you feel like you have an 'investment' in it but, all of us will have to decide when to 'cut and run' someday.

I think you could put a 2.2 liter in the car - might find one with less miles than your current engine and the 2.2 is fairly bombproof too.

maybe check car-part.com .

6 minutes ago, 1 Lucky Texan said:

are you sure about the timing belt? did it stall?

hard decisions, especially when you feel like you have an 'investment' in it but, all of us will have to decide when to 'cut and run' someday.

I think you could put a 2.2 liter in the car - might find one with less miles than your current engine and the 2.2 is fairly bombproof too.

maybe check car-part.com .

Yeah it was misfiring constantly and when I was idling or slowing down it would die. I just changed the spark plugs last summer too

Oh - so you had a skip and not a crash?  Then my $.25 is to spend a few bucks on it.  I jam econo too, so I just replaced the belt and the toothed idler (which, for some reason has a much higher failure rate than the smooth ones), but went premium on both (per GD's recommendation):   Mitsuboshi belt and NSK idler - I think I paid less than $100 CDN for the pair.  Unless you have a reason to distrust the pumps and tensioner, that should do it.

• Like 1