Ultimate Subaru Message Board

90-95 Legacy or Outback transmission swap with GL 4H,4L transmission

This is my first post and I've come here because I can't find any info online about the transmission swap I want to do. I currently drive an 88 Loyale DL wagon. But it's to hard to find parts for in my state. I know a guy who makes a long travel kit that bolts on to the following vehicles. 90-95 legacys or outbacks. So I want to purchase an outback or Legacy and the long travel kit but I want to swap an old GL 4H,4L transmission. I want to escape from all wheel drive plus have the old Loyale fun. So I know I'm going to need the famous adapter plate people use for the EA81 to EJ swap and I'm going to have to extend or shorten the drive shaft. There's not going to be to much electrical but if any one has info on that, that would be appreciated. Also I need to figure out the front axles. Im going to have to mix some parts but don't have the doner car yet to get a good idea. I need the front axles of the outback or legacy to be like factory so that the long travel kit will fit.

• 4 weeks later...

what I was really wondering was if the newer transmissions coming from Japan I guess they are jdm?, if they have 6mt that would work in my 95. I know this isn’t answering your search I’m just saying in case we find any resources. I haveta check with the place(s) here in Houston I’ve seen that sells those newer ones.

You need

EA82 3.9 5 spd D/R from 85-89 GL and a 3.9 rear diff.

Flywheel for 4wd EA82 redrilled for EJ

Adapter plate

Custom trans rear crossmember (or modify stock)

Longer driveline (center section)

Lengthened shifter or modified E82 shifter and D/R lever

Front axles for 93/94 FWD MT impreza will work.